3

Pranpriya Manoban

Warzoned...

We're almost reaching the camp. The head of the military assigned us to the different area. This situation isn't new to me. I work in the field for seven years, at first I had this scared feeling in my chest but the more years to come I have been used to this situation.

Death isn't new to me. If you ask me if I'm scared to die? My answer is no. In every war that I'm in, I've seen a lot of dying soldiers. I tried my best to help them. Some of them survived while others are not.

In my first year in the field. Whenever I see a dying soldier and I couldn't do something about it. I felt bad. I mourned a lot. Until I get used to it.

I also try my best to avoid having friends in the Militaries with my fellow medics. I witnessed my best friend died in the battlefield. It hurts like hell knowing that I couldn't save him. I left him there, wounded and dying. Bambam is my childhood best friend we always dream to bring honor to our country. Him as a Militar and me as a medic. We were team back then but now he's gone. I lost my partner in crime. I save almost everyone but I failed to save my best friend. I was left alone. He left. Like everyone else.

And that day I swore to myself that I will not get attached to anyone. It's better to be alone in this war. No guilt and no sadness.

"Are you ready to the war Manoban?" The general asked.

"Yes, Sir." I saluted.

We're in the middle of slumber when the lieutenant woke us up. "Everyone be ready. There is a bombing outside!" He shouted.

Let's do this. I make sure to get the first aid kit and I carry a gun so follow the soldiers. We scattered everywhere so we can keep an eye to the wounded soldier.

Bullets everywhere. Shit! I run to the side way, I saw this guy in his mid twenties getting shot in his legs. I run towards him. "AHHHH! I CANNOT MOVE!!" he screams. "Stay still my brother. I'll help you out." I said as I help him to get up. This is the hardest part in the medic when you are trying to find a safer place for the wounded soldier. "Please help me Miss." He begged. "I will."I found some safe spot for him and then I help him walk. I should be more careful. They can shot us anytime. Thankfully we reached the place without getting any bullet. I treated his wound so it will  stop from bleeding.

When I see him that he's getting calmed. I suggested that we will get out in the war zone. I will bring him to my fellow medics so they can send him back to the camp. If he lost more blood he won't be able to survive.

I successfully handed him.

I came back to the war zoned and treated some wounded soldiers. Thankfully as we returned to the camp we don't have a lot of casualties. We have 15 deaths and only 50 soldiers that are wounded.

Days passed by and we can't believe that we are staying here for a year now but this war hasn't ended yet. Every day a lot of rebellious acts that we are facing. A lot of soldiers are dying too. I thought the first one wasn't that bad at all but I was wrong everyday the damage are increasing. Even the civilians are endangered. Bloody war.

I'm in the middle of war when I see a family that has been hiding to this wall. Why are they here? I thought everyone here are force to leave? Wait, these are kids with their mother!

I hurriedly run into their side. I can't even understand what they are saying, but I know their actions are asking me to help them. "Ma'am follow me." They are scared.

We are almost near to the rescue team but the little kid run away from my side us because he forgot his toy. "Are you kidding me?!" I said. His mother shout his name "YUAAAAN! YUAAAAN!" "Ma'am, escape this warzone. I will chase him and make sure that I will save your child." I tried to communicate with her. Thankfully the rescue team saw us and they get these two young kids and the mother.

I hurriedly chase the boy and thankfully I found him carrying his little sling shot. He'll definitely risk his life for this sling shot? Ah this kid. I got him and carry him so we can reach as fast as we can. Until I felt a pain in my shoulder. Fuck! I got shot and another shot the back. I try to focus to the way.

You can do it.. save this boy.. we will make it. I said. The kid has been crying. He's scared. "Hush,kid. You'll go home to your mother." I said as I try to fight back.

We successfully made it to the team. He run towards his mother. I smiled to myself. "SERGEANT MANOBAN!!" The medic hurriedly come to me.

If I will die today at least I know I protected that kid and he's in his family now they are complete. The next thing I know is everything went black.