8

Jennie Kim

This past few days I realized that I hang out a lot with Sergeant Manoban. I don't know why, but every time I see her, I feel like all giddy and excited. I've never been excited to see someone else before.

The first time she talk about being intersex really shocked me. Now it makes sense that the y allowed her to be on field instead staying in the Military camp to treat soldiers.

Every day the damage of the properties because of war are increasing but we're positive that soon it will go back to normal. It's very frustrating at first but, we are not going to stop from treating those wounded.

While I walk to the corridor I saw Sergeant in front of those flower pots. She's facing it, I sneak out to go near her so I can't say what she's saying it seems like she's talking to the growing sprouts.

"Aissh, when will you guys grow? I wonder what you look like, you know I never really see myself doing this things. You know what I mean? I should be there in the war zone saving soldiers. But I guess, this is my luck. At least I have you guys right? Wow, am I really talking to these plants. But it's okay. No one is here so I'm safe." She chuckled.

"And wanna hear a story? Okay I'm gonna tell you this story of me when I was a kid, my grandmother force me to learn how to do gardening like doctor Kim, she's fond of growing flowers. But as hard headed as I am. I didn't do it but I guess my grandmother has a way of making me do it. She must be annoying God in heaven to force me from growing flowers here. So yeah, here I am, doing it. So funny right? Hahahaha" she laughed. She's lunatic. I smiled widely. I didn't know she has this side of her.

"So how's your Little conversation with you flowers?" I asked. She jumped a little. It's cute.

"Oh gosh!! You frightened me!" She hold her chest and scratching the back of her nape.

"Sorry, I didn't mean it." I smiled.

"No it's okay, how long have you been standing near me?" She asked.

"Long enough to hear your banter and cute story about your grandmother."

"Oh boy! That's embarrassing."

"No it's not, so how are you feeling about your wound?" I asked. It's been a month and a half she's getting better.

"It's better. I can move it now." She smiled.

"Good, just wait another month and I'll discharge you." I said.

"REALLLLLYY???!!!" she smiled widely. She looks like a kid everytime she do that.

"Yes Sergeant." I said.

"You know, if I get better I will treat you to any restaurant outside. Or just cook you. You know? Just to say my thank you."

"You cook?" I asked her. She's now standing in front of me. This is so funny our height difference. She's so tall that I'm actually looking up to her.

"Yes, I lived alone."

"I thought you were with your grandfather?"

"Nope, my pops passed away long time ago. My parents? I don't know where are they. I grew up to my grandparents." She explained and I can see sadness in her eyes when she talk about them.

"That must've been lonely." Is all I said.

"It is, at first. When both of them died, I felt like I have no longer purpose here. Like you know? There's this part of me died too. But, I have to keep moving. I came to a realization that this must be the life you know? Full of hardships. Some people experience sadness in a different way. And when you're sad or lonely the world will not stop to comfort you it will keep on spinning. So it's up to you, to win or to lose. To survive or die."

"You're right. I'm sorry that you endured all of it alone." I look at her and she just smiled.

"Don't be, that hardships taught me a lot of lessons. I am not who I am now without it."

I didn't say anything I just stand beside her and look to the pots.

"You did a great job by the way. None of the plants die." I congratulates her.

"Well, I have a good teacher."

I just nodded.

"Well it seems like I'm about to go to another patients." I said.

"Ohh you're going?"

"Yes." I said.

"Can I come? Maybe help you?" She asked me with that pleading look in her eyes. Who wouldn't resist that?

"Okay." Then she smiled.

"After you."

We went to different rooms for check ups and she was with me all the time and assist me if I need something. I saw her talking to her fellow Thais when we entered the room she seemed nice to everyone there as if those wounded soldiers know her too well.

Everytime we enter to a different room she always said to the people that they will all be heal and soon the war will be over. She's making them feel like there's always a hope that we can make it. I've never seen someone as stronger as she who put others first before herself. And suddenly my heart beats faster..

What are you doing to me woman?