Chapter 5

Being locked in your room under heavy guard for two days sucks. Really sucks. When father got home and John told him about me being at the port, he had come into my room and started yelling at me at the top of his voice. The worst part was that I had almost nothing to do except study and finish off embroidery. 

It was now one day before the launching of the ship and I was finally let out of my room. Of course I still had to warn father about the pirates so that would be my first priority. 

 The guards standing outside my room opened the door and told me my father wanted to speak with me. 

"Thank you," I told him and I quickly made my way downstairs and around hallways until I came to his office. I knocked on the door and it opened for me. I stepped inside and nodded to my father in greeting.

"Thank you for coming, Penelope." He walked over to his desk and sat down. "I would like to talk to you about your little adventure the other day. Your brother told me you were down at the docks. Is that true?" 

I sat down in one of the chairs in the room before answering, "Yes, father. That is correct."

"And why, may I ask?"

"I'd prefer it if you didn't."

"Okay then. But you know you aren't supposed to go down there or anywhere in the port without a guard," he said sternly. 

"Yes father. I'm sorry. I just wanted to go down there to look at Destiny, that's all." It wasn't a lie either.

"But still! You should have alerted someone, told them you would be gone!" he said, his voice growing louder. "The reason John had you locked in you room was so he could teach you a lesson. Now when I found out you had been locked in, I wasn't entirely happy, but when I found out why, I thought it a very reasonable idea."

I stayed silent and played with the sleeve on my dress.

"Now, John also told me that you came in here to tell me something. Do you still want to?" he asked.

"Yes." I sat up straighter. "I was told by um...someone at the docks that there were pirates around this time of year."

"You think pirates are around, Penelope? That's all you wanted to say to me?"

"Yes father. But you can't ignore it. Pirates are dangerous and I don't want anything to happen to you, that's all."

"Listen. I won't have to be careful because pirates are never around this trade route. You should know that." He stood up and walked over to the far side of the room. The wall there was completely covered in a map. "We are here," he said, pointing to England.

"Yes father. I know that."

"We will be sailing here." He traced along the map with his finger and stopped at Jamaica. "We will land in Port Royal and then come back here, our ship laden with sugar, gold and other things that we will trade there."

"I already knew that father," I said, and couldn't help the bored tone.

"Yes, but is there anywhere along that route that you would find any pirates?"

"No," I sighed.

"You see? We will be safe."

I stood up and walked to the door. The whole conversation was going nowhere. "But father, please be careful just in case." And with that, I left.

The rest of the day passed uneventfully for which I was glad. It gave me time to think about how I was to get to the ship tomorrow before it left, which wouldn't be easy. The whole anchor thing was starting to lean a bit on the tricky side, so that might have to be rethought.

Finally it was the morning that Destiny would leave. When I woke up it was still dark outside which was a relief. I wouldn't be able to go with John, mother and Juliet so now would be the best time to go. Besides, I could see better at night than during the day.

I changed into the clothes that I had stolen from my brother - which surprisingly fit rather well - and checked the time. It was three in the morning, which gave me six hours. It would be easy.

I ran out of the room as quietly as I could, not worried about guards outside the door anymore, and then through the rest of the house. Once I reached the gates I felt the pain in my eyes, but ignored it this time. I had to get to the docks soon. 

Seeing as running would take too long I made my way to the stables and tacked a chestnut horse called Beau and cantered out of the courtyard, wincing each time one of her hooves hit the cobblestones too hard.

Once I reached the docks I dismounted and tied Beau to one of the gate posts. The docks were quiet, no-one there this early in the morning. Destiny was sitting there, rocking gently from side to side. The gang plank was still in place and the sails were down. None of its lanterns were lit either, telling me no-one was on deck, which I made my way onto.

It was now cluttered with boxes, ropes and barrels that would give me some good hiding places. Unfortunately people would probably move those boxes and ropes and barrels straight away, so they wern't an option.

On the deck there was a small hatch that led under the wooden timbers, which I quickly opened. I was greeted with an extremely steep ladder and I climbed down it immediately. Below deck there was a hallway with doors on either side.

At the end of the hallway there was another flight of stairs that I also went down. At the bottom I found the storage room. Here there were closets, more boxes, barrels and a lot of other stuff. It would be perfect for me to hide in. I found an almost full closet and managed to fit myself in. This was going to be my home for the next month of two.

A/N Extremely short chapter! Sorry! My mum was hurrying me loads. Hope you enjoyed it all the same!

7 votes this time! And four comments from DIFFERENT people. So vote, comment and fan!