3

Kaylin
"Hey... Kaylin... wake up" I heard. I rolled over on my back, squinting my eyes open to see Sharife's chain dangling over my face
🌚
"Huh?"
"It's 6:30 on Thursday.. we have school."
"Oh shit."
I jumped out of bed, falling as Sharife laughed at me. I rolled my eyes, grabbing some clothes and stuff out my bag before rushing into the bathroom.
Okay first, Teeth + Mouthwash
Second, Shower
Third, Lotion
Fourth, Clothes & Shoes ^^^^
Fifth: Hair ^^^^
Since I was already running late, all I did was side part my hair and put 2 ponytails in it and then hurriedly did my edges and threw some earrings on. I finished at 7:15 and ran out of the bathroom. I put my nightclothes in a different bag before going over to Sharife's room.
"Hey I'm ready." I said. He got up and grabbed his bag and his shoes as I went to grab my bags.
"Come on." He said. I followed him down the stairs and he stopped in the kitchen.
I stood in the living room, waiting on him and he came out with 2 cheesecakes; my oreo one and his reese's one.
"Since we're late I guess this is breakfast."
I giggled, "I don't mind"
We got in his car and he handed me the aux.
"Don't put on no toxic shit"
"Shhh I got this"
A few seconds later, Lil Baby's "Get Money" blasted in the car.
"GET MONEY, GET MONEY, GET MONEY, GET MONEY" We screamed out loud with the lyrics. while eating our cheesecake.
Well, I think I've found my second friend.
We pulled up at school and I grabbed my book bag before getting out the car. Sharife locked his car doors and we walked into the school.
"Kaylin?"
"Hmm?" I hummed, texting my mom back.
"Is everything okay with you? Like at home.."
I stopped walking. I didn't even think about that. I'm dead when I get back.
I felt a tear come down my face as I quickly wiped it.
"Everything's fine. Thanks for your concern." I said giving him a small smile.
Apparently he saw right through it because he grabbed me, pulling me into a tight hug. I couldn't do anything but hug him back because no. Everything is NOT okay at home.
"Whenever you wanna talk about it, just know I'm here."
I nodded as we pulled away from the hug and continued walking into the school building.
"AWE LOOK AT YALL"
"GOALS"
"MY GUYYYY"
is all we hear as we walk into the school building. I rolled my eyes at their obnoxious comments.
"Can you guys hush? I'm not all the way woke yet and you're making my head hurt."
"Is that a limp I see miss ma'am?" Jalen asked.
"What?"
"Bro she's limping dawg" Noah says back.
"Wait-"
"YALL FUC-" Josh started until Sharife cut him off.
"No." He said in a monotone voice.
"Mhm. We not dumb." Terrance said.
"Where's Destiny?" I asked, changing the subject.
"I don't know. I tried to call her a bunch of times and she hasn't responded to any of my texts since last night." Jalen explained. You could see he was worried also.
I frowned and furrowed my eyebrows. I tried to call her only leading to it ringing and then voicemail.
"Ima call her again later.." I said.. more like asking myself.
We walked to first period joking and stuff , but I heard everyone's voice but Jalen's. It looked like he was texting Des.
We got in class and sat down and we already know this lady not gon do nun so we just got on our phones and talked more. Then I got a text.
Des: Help.
I sat up, confused
Me: Huh?
Des: Help. Get Jalen. He knows.
Me: okay.
"Jalen come back here wimme real quick."
He got up and we moved to the back of the room. I showed him the texts and he started freaking out.
Then I got a facetime call.
Des wants to FaceTime
I answered it
Des: Please...
Jalen took my phone
Jalen: Where you at ?
Des: I'm at home
Jalen: I'm on my way. Get ready and pack some bags
She nodded before saying
Des: Please hurry, he'll be home soon.
Jalen: Dont worry mamas, I'm on my way now
She nodded before hanging up.
"What the-"
"Let's go." He said dragging me out the classroom.
We got to his car and I pulled my phone out seeing texts
Sharife👑: ???
Me: We'll be back luv💕 Tell the others.
We pulled up at a nice house.
He pulled his phone out and texted something before getting out.
I saw him walk up to the door and it opened. He grabbed some suitcases and bags, putting them in his trunk. Then I saw Des come out with her book bag. They looked like they needed to talk so I got in the back.
When Des got in the car it got quiet.
"Hi Des" I said, shyly.
"Hi..." She said quietly.
Jalen looked like he was fuming. He stopped at a gas station that didn't have any cars there.
"Uh-" I started only to be cut off by Jalen
"Destiny."
I saw Des look down as I wondered what happened. And who is "He"?
"Jalen I-"
"Don't. Just- I told you to come to me."
"I'm sorry but-"
"No. I don't want a excuse." I saw a tear fall from his eye. "Do you know he could've killed you?"
KILLED ?
"Jalen please listen to me-"
"Uh uh."
"Jalen listen to her." I said
"No."
"Please.." I heard her tearing up.
"Fine." He sighed.
"He took my phone last night, after I sent you that last message. He left it here when he left this morning so I went and got it. And I didn't text you first because I had to hurry and Kay's contact name was the first on the list. I'm sorry Jay... I know I shouldve told you when it started but I didn't wanna bother you or stress you out. I mean, come on. You're a basketball phenomenon ! You leave for the G League in a month and I didn't wanna make anything else hard for you."
Jalen looked at her for a minute before giving her a long hug.
"I get that, but you stressed me out A LOT when you weren't answering last night and this morning. I just wish you would tell me when that happens. If anything were to happen to you I don't even know what I would do. I wouldn't be able to live without you by my side D."
Awwww🥺
She nodded.
"So you staying with me from now until you leave for college."
She nodded again.
"Good. Now" He turned back to face me and so did she.
"Maybe you should be filled in."
I nodded my head.
"I-" she hesitated before looking at Jalen.
"Her dads abusive. And when i say abusive I mean ABUSIVE.  And he's been like that since she was 15. USUALLY (he said looking at her) she lets me know when he gets drunk or in one of his fits so I can come get her."
I nodded. I know what it's like to be in an abusive household. Hell Im in one now.
Jalen pulled out of the parking lot before looking over at Des.
"You okay to go to school?"
"Mhm." She nodded her head.
He nodded and took off to the school

When we got there, the bell was ringing. I went to my locker only to meet Sharife. He had my books with him.
"Thanks.." I said, grabbing them and opening my locker.
"No problem. But where y'all went?"
"To get Des."
"Her dad again ?"
I nodded. "She's staying with Jalen now though so everything should be okay."
He nodded, leaning on the locker next to mine.
"Why won't she call the cops on him?" I asked
"Can't. Her dad works in the prison system. He manipulates it and makes it seem like it's only "punishment" because shes an "unruly child".
That's awful.
I didn't say anything, I just closed my locker shut. The thought of someone hurting DESTINY of all people is sickening.
"What period we going to?"
"Fourth. Come on."
"Oh..."
He gave me a look.
"You'll be fine."
"I probably looked like a crybaby yesterday."
"No cap, you did."
"Wow. Also I wanted to beat your fucking head in around this time."
"Tf I do?"
"I was calling your name bc I couldn't find the class and you ignored me. And I searched for this class for damn near 5 minutes, got frustrated and started crying and then I was late which made me cry harder."
"... So basically what you're saying is I'm the reason you cried?"
"Yes."
"Cap. You should've came up and tapped me or sum. I had my airpods in."
"Mmcht."
We got to the class and a lot of people were already in it.
"What the hell?" Somebody said, motioning at Sharife's arm around my shoulder
"Damn already? Easy ass" Another person said.
I started to shift Sharife's arm off me but he held it tighter.
"Watch ya mouth" Sharife said and the person shut up.
"What kind of power do you have over these kids yo?" I asked as we sat down.
Low key it's admirable.
"Ion know." He said shrugging "They just listen to me."
"Mm.. sooo let's play 21 questions."
"That's for kids."
"Shhh yes or no"
"No"
"Yes"
"Whatever"
"YAYYY ! Okay so first question, where are you from? Cause you don't talk like you from the south"
"Jersey." He said
"Ohhh.. so when did you-"
"It's my turn love."
My cheeks went red at that name "Love"
"Oh..yeah"
"How old are you?"
"17 as of now"
He nodded, leaning back in his seat looking at me.
Just his gaze even makes my body tingle- chile wtf
"Um.. when did you move down here?"
"When I was 6."
"Oh."
We kept going for a while and then the bell rang, signaling class was ending. You know that feeling when you just met someone but it feels like you've known them forever? That's what this is. I have to keep reminding myself we just met yesterday.
While we were walking to lunch, I sent Des a quick text.
Me: You good?
Des: Yes ma'am 😌 Are you coming to the cafeteria?
"Are we going to the cafeteria?"
He stopped. "Nah"
Me: no😭
Des: I know🌚
Me: girl BYE😭😭
Me and Rife began walking to his car.
"Where you wanna go?" He asked once we got in.
"It doesn't matter"
He groaned, sliding his hands down his face.
"What?" I asked
"Why do girls always do that? Say iT dOeSnT mAtTeR and then decline every choice I suggest like i-"
"Bojangles."
"Aight bet."
We started driving and I busted out laughing
"What?" He looked at me weird.
"Nigga do you know how hard you was finna snap I said, laughing harder at the thought.
He smacked his lips and rolled his eyes before letting out a little laugh too.
"I was finna sound stupid no cap"
I laughed even harder at that.
"Quit laughing"
"Make me" I said, still cackling.
"OH SHIT" Sharife yelled out of nowhere.
I abruptly stopped laughing and sat up, alarmed.
He smirked "Made you"
I hit his bicep and- damn😍
"Damn you strong"
"I do this thing called working out"
"So do I but look" I pouted showing him my arms and biceps.
"You ain't like me Love"
That name again.
"I could be. I could be a better version of you"
"You hella cap. I'm already the best version of me"
"Sure" I said
"Sharife?" I asked again
He hummed in response, pulling into the Bojangles drive thru
"Can I hold your phone?"
He glanced over at me.
"Whatchu want from here?"
I sighed "a 2 piece both leg, dark meat with macaroni and fries and a lemonade"
He ordered mine and his food, paid for it and handed me the bags and cup holders.
"... So is that a no?" I asked, kinda freaking out. I've never been told no before. I don't ask my stepdad for stuff and my mom and dad spoil me.
"You hot? I'm hot." He said rolling the windows down.
I rolled my eyes, getting mad.
"Don't roll yo eyes at me lil girl"
"Or what? and I'm not a lil girl"
"Or ima give you sum to roll em bout" He said smirking and then added "and you younger and shorter than me so yes. You a lil girl"
I huffed. "Gimme sum to roll em about then"
He looked over at me and licked his lips.
"I wouldn't mind at all... but we just met yesterday. Give it some time and I will fasho."
"Wait huh-oh..." I said realizing what he said as we pulled into the school parking lot.
"Why you sound so disappointed mamas? I said I gotchu , just give it some time"
Nigga I want you NOW
We began to eat and here he go.
"DAMN YOU KILLIN THAT MACARONI"
I rolled my eyes.
"What I tell you bout that"
"You ain did nun"
"Aight nie watch out"
I finished my food and waited on him to finish his. Afterwards, I checked the time and saw we still had like 15 minutes till the bell rang so we chilled. I still had to finish my drink though.
"Damn nigga that shit better be good"
"Shut up"
"Or what"
Ima sit this pu-
"Or we gon fight"
He licked his lips "That mean sum different in my book"
"Oh my God Sharife"
"I'm just saying" He said putting his hands up.
He checked the time. "Cmon. We got a minute till the bell rang."
I struggled trying to get out but I dropped my drink on myself soo now I'm walking in the school with a whole wet stain.
"Here" He handed me some sweats from his book bag.
"Thanks"
I dipped into the bathroom and changed my pants. Luckily his sweats were black so they still kinda match my outfit.
I walked out the bathroom and Sharife was there.
"I'll put these in here" He said, putting my pants in his book bag.
"They won't wet your books?"
He smirked and I knew he was finna say some outta pocket shit again.
"They shouldn't. But I wouldn't be too mad at it."
"You're weird. Byeeee." I said walking to 5th period.
"What's ya 5th?" He called from behind me
"LAW"
"Wrong way."
I turned around, walking into his open arm as we walked to B hall together since his math class was on the same hall. It's crazy how I just met this dude and he's already like my best friend.That's crazy.
We made it to B hall and went our separate ways. When I walked into the class I saw Destiny with her head down.
"Yoo" I said, going over to her
"Wassup" She said, sitting up and smiling at me
"Wassup" I said back smiling back at her
"So you and Sharife"
"You and Jalen"
She blushed at that and I knew something was going on between them.
"Answer me first"
"Me and Sharife are good friends. Now, you and Jalen?"
"Do you have Sharife's sweats on?"
"Uh.. yeah" I said feeling my face burn up.
"Mhm" She smirked. "Anyways, Jalen's my best friend."
"JUST best friend?" I questioned.
"Yeah..."
I narrowed my eyes at her.
"Fine. We've been messing around for a lil bit.. but now he has a girlfriend so it doesn't matter" She mumbles, looking down.
A girlfriend? By the way he was acting earlier I figured he would date Des if anybody.
"A girlfriend?"
"Yeah. This hoe." She said pulling up a picture.