2

"I'm sorry, what?" Ashlyn said as she thought she heard wrong. "It's Billie, Ashlyn." He repeated himself.

"What," Ashlyn asked. "You're just kidding, right? Someone just came and you know." Ashlyn couldn't process what she just hard.

"I'm so sorry for your loss. We'll spend day and night on finding out who did this." The chief a.k.a. Ashlyn's boss told Ashlyn.

"What happened? How'd you find her?" Ashlyn asked. "Look Carmichael, don't worry about all of that right now, you're grieving right now." Chief says.

"Where's Aminah?" Is all that leaves from Ashlyn's mouth. She just lost her wife, she needed to know her daughter was okay.

"I have no idea." She was told and her heart sank to the floor. "Don't fucking say that." She muttered and she rushed into Aminah's nursery and there she was. She was holding onto the crib standing up and crying.

The sirens probably drowned her cries out Ashlyn thought. She picked up the girl saying "It's okay, shh, I'm here." Ashlyn rocked her as she calmed down.

Ashlyn grabbed a few belongings of Aminah's and shoved it into a bag. Ashlyn rushed out of the house, she no longer wanted to be there. She threw the things into her car and placed Aminah in the car seat and she fled the crime scene.

She later arrived at her mother's home also her old house and she parked before she found herself breathing heavily, her hand trembling, heart beating fast. She couldn't cry right now, she'd scare Aminah.

Ashlyn cleared her throat and got out of her car. She took the bag and Aminah before knocking on her mother's door. Within seconds, the door with her 17 year old sister Bella.

"Hey..." Bella said. Bella and the rest of Ashlyn's family had just got the news of Billie's death. "Hey, is Mom here?" Ashlyn asked. "Yeah, she's in the kitchen." Bella opened the door letting Ashlyn in.

"I can take her." Bella said reaching for Aminah. Ashlyn handed the baby to Bella and she placed the bag on the couch and she went to go to the couch.

"Wait Ash." Bella said. "What?" Ashlyn said. "Are you okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" Ashlyn put on a smile. She turned around, dropped the smile and headed for her mother.

"Mom?" Ashlyn called out and her mother turned. "Oh my goodness, what are you doing here, how are you?" Ashlyn's mom cupped Ashlyn's face.

"I'm f-fine." Ashlyn lied. She was nowhere near fine, she was hurting, but she wasn't letting it show. You could say that was something Ashlyn was an expert at that.

Pretending to be perfectly fine, faking a smile, faking happiness. She was doing a good job right now, she hadn't shed a tear yet.

"Baby, you are not fine." Her mom said. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Ashlyn, we heard about Billie." Ashlyn blinked a few times after hearing her mother's words.

"Okay. I came here for a different reason." Ashlyn said. "Do you need anything?"

"Yeah, can Aminah stay here for awhile?"

"Of course, you- you can too if you want."

"Sorry, I won't be staying, I have to do something." Ashlyn said. "What do you have to possibly do? You just lost someone." Her mom tried to make reason.

"I'm sorry but I really have to go." Ashlyn replied to her mom. "You just lost your wife, please sta-"

"I know who I lost! Don't remind me." Ashlyn said and she left her mom in the kitchen and exited her house and ran into her car. She drove quickly and when she felt like she couldn't breathe, she parked in a no parking spot without caring.

She ran her fingers through her hair. And the tears came. Her car became filled with the sounds of her sobs and screams. It was hitting her harder than she would've thought.

She should've stayed, she thought, she shouldn't have left and maybe things would've turned out much differently.

She covered her mouth as she thought she was being too loud. They say the worst cry is the silent cry, the cry where you let the tears fall but let no noise come out of her mouth.

That was the cry Ashlyn was dealing with right now.

···

Ashlyn was woken up by a knock on a car window. "Shit." She muttered when she rubbed her eyes and look out the window and saw it was a cop. She rolled her window down and the officer said "Ma'am, this is no park- wait, detective Carmichael?" The officer recognized Ashlyn.

"Yeah?" She rasped. "What- what are you doing here?" She was asked. "Honestly? I really don't know?"

"I- uh- do you need a coffee?" Ashlyn was asked. "I really need to get out of here." was Ashlyn's answer.

"We heard the news detective, we're sor-" Ashlyn cut the officer with "Don't. Talk about it."

"If there's anything I can do to help-"

"There's nothing anyone can do to help, I'm sorry, are you going to give me my ticket?" Ashlyn asked getting a little frustrated.

"You're going through a lot right now, I don't want to add any stress for you."

"Thank you, I guess." Ashlyn muttered and she started her car and drove home. She opened the door and as she thought, the blood was gone. None on the couch, on the table, wall, carpet. It looked like nothing ever happened here.

Ashlyn tore her eyes away and headed for her bathroom. She gets in and looks at herself in the mirror and she looked horrible. The mascara ran down her face. Puffy cheeks, red eyes.

She turned on the water and washed her face to at least look like she wasn't crying. When she was done, she dried her face and many, many freckles showed.

"I love your freckles, baby." Billie used to say.

Ashlyn smiled to herself at the little memory and went into her room and changed. Her hand grazed some of Billie's clothing and she later found herself in them.

The clothes still had Billie's signature smell. Vanilla. Billie had a certain smell for everyone, it depended on who she was around. The way she smelt when she was around Finneas wouldn't be the same for her father.

Ashlyn's smell was Vanilla.

Ashlyn walked into the living room and she went to sit on the couch, but  stopped. If she remember correctly, there was so much blood on the couch meaning whatever happened to Billie was on the couch.

She grabbed the remote and turned on the TV while still standing up and it went to news.

"It has been confirmed that Musician Billie Eilish was found dead in her home yesterday evening. Reports of yelling caused a neighbor to call the police and unfortunately when they arrived at the house, it was too late, she was found with multiple stabs wounds. Billie Eilish leaves behind her one year old daughter, and Fiance, Ashlyn Carmiche-"

Ashlyn switched the channel only to end up on another news channel.

"Fans of singer Billie Eilish are devastated to hear that she was killed last night in her home. The singer was known for many things such as her fashion, and her music which was sometimes labeled as controversial. Eilish had a one year old daughter, and was supposed to be getting married. Everyone is taken back by this news and also has this one question in mind.

'Who killed Billie Eilish?'

The bell rung in Ashlyn's head. All this time, she didn't know what to do about this. She now knew what she needed to do.

She needed to find out who killed her fiance and put an end to that person's life.