Ashlyn POV

"Absolutely not," Chief exclaimed at my request. "We have rules around here and they apply to everyone including you." He said.

"I need to figure out who killed her." I said. "We have investigators on it already, the only thing you need to do is stay out of it."

"How am I supposed to stay out of it? My fiance was murdered!"

"We know that Carmicheal and we have folks working on who did it." Chief says. "You guys need me. I knew her the best, I can help."

"Ashlyn, you are not helping, this is not even allowed."

"Oh come on, you are the chief of LAPD, you can make an exception." I tell him and he just looks at me because he knows I'm right.

"I'm not doing this right now." He tries to walk away from me.

"Just say yes!" I shout. "Look, there's a memorial service today, are you going?" He asks me.

"No." I shake my head. "You should go." He says.

"I'm not going anywhere until I find her killer. She would've wanted me to do that, which is why I need to be lead investigator in her murder."

"This is important to you, huh?" He asks. "So important."

"Okay I'll tell you what. I'll let you into this case, but if you have even the smallest breakdown, you're out. Got it?"

"Thank you, I won't let you down."

"Don't let Billie down." He pats my shoulder and I nod as he walks away.

I feel the eyes on me as I enter my office. No one knows what to say to me, I don't blame them, I don't know what to say myself. I truly don't want to believe she's dead, but she is.

I sit down in front of my computer and I log in. Someone knocks on my door and I let them in and it's my coworker Christopher. "What do you want?"

"Just checking on you." He says.

"Well I'm okay, I- can you get me access to Billie's file?" I ask him knowing he's also on the investigation.

"Billie? I can't give you that." He says. "I was just cleared. The file please."

"Carmicheal, I understand your pain."

"No you don't. Your wife wasn't murdered on her couch." I say quickly and he looks down.

"Sorry." He mutters

"I want to know who killed my wife and why." I said.

"So when you do find out, what are you going to do? Put them in jail or what?" Christopher laughed.

"I'm going to kill them."

"Oh that's interesting." Christopher said.

"Yeah, it's interesting enough. So if you killed her, you better pray I don't find out."

He looks taken back, "Like I said two seconds ago, my wife's file, now."
________________

"This person that killed probably had a huge vendetta on her, can we think of anyone she had problems with?" I'm asked.

"Her ex boyfriend Jacob, maybe."

"Who was he?"

"I don't fucking know. She never talked about him, the only she mentioned that he was scarily obsessed with her."

"Okay, that's a lead. We just need to find him." Chris says. I can't believe I'm working with him, especially after what he said.

"Do you have the pictures of the crime scene?" I hold my hand out. "I don't think you want to see it." He tells me.

"Just give them to me." I say. He takes a deep breath and places the multiple pictures in my hand. I look at them and confusion surfaces around me.

"Where's her face?" I ask. "That's the thing, when we found her. She had no face."

"What do you mean?" I get up slowly. "She was skinned." I'm told and I can't help but gag.

"Oh my god." I mutter. "I know it's a lot to process, you can take your time."

"There is no time. Let's go back to the house, maybe there's something there. Tell chief about Jacob and to get me his address." I say shaking my head.

Five minutes later, we are in my car on my way back to the house. When we get there, I take a deep breath and we enter the house that was cleaned like nothing ever happened.

"What should I be keeping an eye out for?" Chris asks.

"Fingerprints." I say. He nods and looks around. I go by the windows and look for anything out of the usual and I see something. "Chris! Come here!" I yell.

He comes and I show him. He takes the white powder and the brush and I leave him to his work. I go into our room and I see the bed neatly made.

I see something in the corner of my eye and my head snaps to what I saw. I see blood on the wall. She was found dead on the couch, was she in here? There's not a lot of blood but there's enough blood.

"We have a fingerprint." Chris says. "And blood." I add.

My phone rings and I pick it up, "Ashlyn?" I hear Maggie's voice. "Hey Mags." I say. "Hi, I didn't see you at the memorial today. I'm sorry." I say.

I see Chris looking at me confused and I wave him off. "How are you doing?" I ask her.

"I'm struggling. Pat's a mess and Finneas is M.I.A." She's says.

"I'm sorry, I can stop by the house today if you like?"

"I would like that, thank you."

"Okay, I'll call you later." I tell her. She hangs up and I sigh. I put my phone in my pocket and I see Chris. "We have a fingerprint, how'd you see that?" Chris asks.

"I'm a detective, it's my job to see things you might not." I say annoyed.

"Well, who died and made you an asshole?" He asks and I throw him a glare and he realizes his mistake.

"We're going back to the station. I've got people to see." I say and I open the door.
__________________

"So there's no evidence of rape and the fingerprint you saw on the window matches the fingerprints on the knife and it's definitely a male. But there's a problem." The coroner tells me.

"What's wrong?" I ask. "The blood that you found in the house. We took a vial of blood from Billie and it's not the same blood type."

"Huh?"

"You found someone else's blood, Detective. Possibly the killer's. Oh and we also found fingerprints on Billie's tattoo."

"Tattoo? What are you talking about, she has no tattoos." I say causing the coroner to raise an eyebrow.

"Um, there's a huge tattoo of a sunflower on her right arm."

"No, she doesn't have a tattoo. Anywhere. Did you get someone to identify the body because I was never called."

"No, we just assumed it was her."

"Can I see her?" I ask. "Excuse me?" She asks partly shocked. "I know this is crazy, but-"

"It's okay, it's out fault, we never had the body identified. We're gonna cover her head since it might be sensitive for you." She steps in the room and comes in and tells me to follow her into the cold room.

She shows me the body and I know immediately that it's not Billie. The body has tattoos crawling up her legs and there is a huge tattoo on her arm.

I walk out quickly and I bump into Micheal. "Are you okay?" He asks me.

"The body." I say. "What about it?"

"It's not Billie."

I LOVVEEEEE plot twists......