Unnoticed cuts and bruises

⚠️TW/CW⚠️- self-harm, child abuse, mocking, panic attack, adoption, blood. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY MORE. I DO NOT WANT TO TRIGGER ANYBODY.

{No PoV, 3rd Person}

Montgomery de la Cruz wasn't happy. He pretended he was, put up a mask, let the world think he was fine, a-okay, while on the inside he was slowly withering away.

Nobody bothered to ask him if he was okay. Nobody cared enough to ask. Not even when he came to school one day with a broken arm, cut face and black eye. Nobody cared and he knew it.

Bryce made jokes about his abuse- made him vulnerable. Monty knew what his 'best friend' was doing, yet he couldn't muster the stomach to leave. Bryce knew that too.

The one thing, quite possibly his biggest secret wasn't him being gay, no, some people already knew that. Nobody knew this one, and that made it even more isolating. Nobody knew that he sliced his arms and legs and stomach up nearly every night. Not a single soul.

For sports he changed in and out of his kit in the disabled toilet, and the teams had to wear long sleaves anyway, as well as pants, so he knew he didn't have to worry about that.

One thing he didn't know was what his father was planning for him after finding out he got an F- on his English exam, even if he was dyslexic.

When Monty got home he didn't expect the house to he as quiet as it was. He walked to the kitched and saw a post-it note on top of the dining table, reading 'Montgomery, when i get back from work i expect you to be revising for your next english exam- you FAILED, again. i'm disappointed.

love, dad x'

He failed? He'd tried so hard, studying in almost all of his spare time. But, no matter what he did the words wouldn't stop swirling and spinning, letters jumping from place to place. He couldn't help it, he knew he couldn't, so why was it always his fault?

That was something he was likely to never know.

He got his English books out and sat at the table, looking for his nearly dead pen. After he found it, he started revising.

When his dad got home he watched him storm into the living room. He shouted Monty's name, expecting him to be out or playing video games. He didn't expect his son to be sat at the dining table, pen scribbling away on the page of his notebook, tears trailing down his face.

"Monty, why the fuck are you crying?" The older de la Cruz spat out, looking over his son's work.

"Fucking hell, you can't even spell 'what' right! What the fuck is wrong, Monty. Why're you so upset, huh?"

"The words wont keep still! I- I can't focus on them long enough to realise what it, what it says! I'm sorry, I'll do better on my next exam, I'll try harder I pro-" Mr. de la Cruz cut Monty off, grabbing his arm in an iron grip, dragging the already overwhelmed boy into his room, his safespace.

Mr. de la Cruz threw him on the floor, not wasting a minute to start kicking him- in the stomach, face, groin. Anywhere that could be kicked was kicked.

An hour later, when Mr. de la Cruz decided that he'd gotten bored, he pulled Monty up on the bed and left the room.

Monty didn't waste a second. He got up, even if it caused him immense pain, grabbed his blade, phone and letterman jacket and climed out of the window, walking to the Hobo Hotel.