Only He Cared

TW: mentions and graphic detail of rape 

Monty was raised up with abuse and hatred. He fought to survive against his abusive father. To say this was the worse year of his life was an understatement but it was in his top five. His brother and long time best friend since elementary school was murdered. Bryce Walker was found dead and soon everyone became a suspect but everyone seemed to have their eyes on the most cruel and violent jock in school...Montgomery De La Cruz.

Montgomery still had the bruises of the homecoming game on his face yet he had more bruises than he could count on his body.  He had been staying at a 'friends' house when his father would beat him almost to death. He needed a savior and Winston was it. However, neither of them would believe what happened that day of the assembly when the two schools met for an apology for the fight during the homecoming game if you told them a year ago.

Thursday afternoon

" Students, please walk to the gym for an assembly. All students involved in the homecoming game please report to the gym " Mr. Bolan announced and students started filing in the gym. Monty saw the boys at HillCrest and the team captain. His face was covered in bruises. Monty's eyes soon found a pair of hazel eyes and that helped him calm down and he took a seat beside Charlie St. George.  

Monty watched as Jessica Davis was making her speech and started turning it into a sexual survivor assembly. He started shaking and flinched a little as Charlie placed a hand on his knee knowing it was because Tyler Down stood up. He looked over at Winston seeing the boy already looking at him. 

" You can do this Monty, he'll still love you and I still support you. I'm right here" Charlie said squeezing Monty's knee wanting to comfort the older teen. Monty looked at Charlie then back at Winston. He watched as the only boy who could possibly understand what it's like to come from a broken home like his stand up. 

" My name is Justin Foley and I'm a survivor..." he said tearing up. 

Monty took a couple deep breaths and squeezed Charlie's hand and slowly stood up letting go of the boys hand. Monty heard the gasps an how all eyes were on him but he stared at the floor but looked up to meet Justin's and Winston's gaze.  His voice broke before he could even speak. 

" My...My name is M...Mont...Montgomery De La Cruz and I'm a s...survivor" he got out and tried not to show and emotion but his eyes were watering. 

Jessica thanked all the survivors for standing even if she didn't believe Monty was telling the truth. As soon as the assembly was over Monty went to leave but was circled by Zach, Justin, Alex and Tony who managed to get a couple other football players to surround the violent jock. 

" What you said in the gym...was it even true or was it a prank? We know what you did to Tyler, how could you ever do that to him if you were assaulted too?" Justin said causing the scared jock to retaliate the only ways he knew how. 

" How could you let Bryce rape Jessica while the three of you were drunk? Do you even love her?" He said thinking of a way out. 

He knew Alex wasn't strong enough but he had Zach and Tony on each side of him. He took the chance and pushed Alex to the ground and ran. He didn't need to look behind him to see if anyone was following him. He could hear the sound of their feet hitting the tile as he ran. He ran to the locker rooms. The girl's locker room since he knew they would check the boys.  He looked down at his phone seeing a text from the one person who never judged him. 

W: where are you? I wanted to talk about you standing and see if you're okay.

Monty smiled that Winston still cared. He heard the boys go past and in that moment his phone rang and he quickly answered it hear a soft voice come through.