Chapter 3 (Zach)

As soon as Jack had opened that door, I knew something was wrong. He had this sad kinda vibe to him that morning and I instantly felt guilty, because for some reason, even though I didn't know what was going on, I felt like it was my fault somehow. When we got in the car, Jack sat in the back. No questions. He just sat in the back. He never did that. I brushed off the thought and started driving.

When we arrived at the mall I turned into the parking lot and stopped the car. "Ok let's go" I said as I got out of the car. We wandered into the mall and through to the other end where the target was. I kept glancing to my left to check on Jack since he was looking at his feet the whole walk through the stores, almost bumped Into a few people and walked straight into a support column.

On the drive back from the mall, jack was texting half the way to elanas house. I'm wasn't sure who it actually was but I assumed it was his girlfriend.

I pulled into elanas driveway and got out of the car, the others following behind me.

"Hey jack?" I said, Successfuly gaining the attention of the curly haired boy, who looked at from his phone an made eye contact with me. "Hm?"

"Are you ok?" I asked. He'd been acting different since last night and I was starting to become concerned. "Yeah... I'm fine" he murmured in reply. I signed

"I don't think you are. I think somethings wrong"

"Nothings wrong Zach. I'm fine"

"You've been really quiet" the other boy looked away from me for a second.

"Fine" he said finally "gabbie thinks I'm cheating and she broke up with me"

"Oh..." I said. I didn't ask who gabbie thought he would have been cheating on her with because I knew it wasn't a good idea to ask, despite my curiosity of the situation. "Are you ok..?" I asked and put my hand on his shoulder when jack shook his head that guilt came back in one big wave. "Gabbie thinks I'm cheating" he murmured again. I wanted to ask who so badly but I didn't ask just in case it would make things worse. "Are you..?" are asked after a minute already knowing what his answer would be. "No..." he said, still avoiding eye contact with me.