Part 1 - The News

What!..I managed to say, tears flooding away from my eyes, it was a nightmare, how could this happen, this is going to absolutely jeopardize my plans.

I looked up to the sky oblivious of my surroundings, asking myself why is this happening to me, what the hell am I supposed to do...

''Gabi, wait up....'' someone was saying, i turned around to see the person, it was my best friend Lizzy. We've been friends since high school and we are studying business management in the same college.

************flash back***********

I just got back from class when my phone rang, I was busy planning on what to do after my graduation which is coming up in a few weeks, I plan to get a job though so that I can take care of my mom and younger sister.

I love them so much, they are the only family I have left and I won't let them suffer.

I have two part time jobs that I'm using to help myself and also pay my tuition fees, though my friend is a huge help, she rented the apartment we are staying, her family are wealthy not that rich though but they are okay.

I hesitantly went to the phone, who could be calling me at this time I wondered "hello" I said bringing the phone to my ear.

"Good day miss Gabriella, this is Life Hospital. Am calling about your mom who was brought in few minutes ago, someone gave me your contact and she claims to be your sister" the voice said.

"I hope there's no problem?" I asked

"Yes miss Gabriella, there is a problem. Your mother is seriously ill and she needs to be admitted immediately" the voice said calmly.

'Admitted, oh my God. What's happening and why is my mom sick, I wasn't aware of this'. I said myself
"Please, what's wrong with her" I ask.

"Miss Montez, we would like to speak with you in person, we are expecting you tomorrow. Thank you" and she hung up.

I stared at my phone, shocked by the news I just heard, the door opened and my friend Liz walked in, she looked at me. "Gabi, what's wrong. Are you okay?" She asked.

"It's my mom, she's... she's sick.,"I said amidst sobs

"Sick..?" Liz questioned "What happened? Didn't we see her just a week ago" said Liz still confused.

"The hospital called and told me she was rushed in few minutes ago and her condition is not good" I told her still sobbing quietly.

"So what are you planning do now?" she asked me.

"They told me to come so that they can fill me in about her condition", I answered her sitting down. I feel weak and tired.

"Well, now that we have submitted our final paperwork, we are on two weeks break before graduation, we can go first thing tomorrow morning". Liz said

I know she's worried about me, we have never separated before we are like sisters. I didn't say anything I just nodded.

Later that night, I heard Liz on the phone "Mom I have to...." She was saying but I couldn't keep up with the conversation as I cried myself to sleep.

*****

I was up first thing in the morning, Liz joined me as we packed our bags. Now that I'm leaving I have to call work and tell them what happened.

I sighed as we walked out of the apartment, Liz called a cab and we zoomed off.

My home is a little bit close to the school, I didn't want to stay far from my mom and sister, unlike Liz whose parents were in Los Angeles but she chose to school in New York.