Chapter 1

I stand on my tiptoes trying to see if I can see my younger sister, among the crowd. It's been two years since my little sister has stepped foot in this town. She is only a year and two months younger than I am. Her being 17 and I being 18. She has longer brown hair like our parents while I take after our grandmother and have blonde hair. Like our father, she has brown eyes while I have blue like our mother. We're the same height which we both got from mom, which is about 5'4''.

Our parents divorced when she was a few months old and our mother, Renee, took her to California. I stayed with our father Charlie. During the first half of summer, I would stay with my mother and sister. During the second half, my sister came back to Forks, Washington with me. When I got to the age of 14, I noticed our mother favored my sister so I stopped going.

My sister started staying only two weeks each summer. My mom then moved to Arizona when I was 16. This stopped my sister from coming at all. So for the last two years it's just been my dad and I. I've been perfectly fine with it. My sister and I don't get along as much as others would expect. She is the type of person who loves attention.

I remember when we were younger, I fell down the stairs and broke my arm. After going to the E.R. and getting a cast, my dad made me stay on the couch and watched my favorite movie. About an hour later, we heard a small thump and found her sitting at the bottom of the stairs. She was crying and holding her arm. My dad could tell she was faking but he gave her a bandaid and had her sit with us.

She showed me that bandaid for at least two weeks. That is just one instance. Ever since we would fight constantly because she always called herself the 'prettier and smarter Swan.' I'm hoping the last two years have mellowed her out and she calmed down. Our mother just got remarried to a man by the name of Phil.

I wasn't invited to the wedding so I only found out a few weeks ago. Phil is a Minor League Baseball player so he's always traveling. My sister decided to move in with us until she graduates so mom can go with him.

"I see her, dad." I say, turning toward him.

"Really?" He stands straight.

Coming toward us is Isabella Swan, my little sister. My dad smiles and she waves slightly, holding her cactus close.

"Hey, Bella." I say, excitedly.

"Hi, Alexia." She stops in front of us.

I pull her in for a hug but she just pats my back, awkwardly. Dad does the same after I pull away. They are both very awkward people. She definitely takes after him in that department. I'm more energetic like our mom. Dad grabs her bags and walks us out to the police cruiser. Bella has always hated that our dad was the Chief of Police for Forks County and that this was his only car.

I loved it. It makes me feel safe. I allow her to have the front seat since it is her first day back. The whole ride back to town is quiet and awkward since they didn't know what to talk about. I hear dad cough slightly.

"So...Your hair is longer." He glances at her.

She plays with the end of her hair before looking out the passenger window.

"I cut it since the last time I saw you." she mumbles.

"Guess it grew out again." He sighs, watching the road as he drives.

A few more minutes of awkward silence. He glances at me in the rearview and I speak up.

"How's mom?"

"Good." She states, not even looking at me.

I sigh and shake my head. I knew she would be like this. I was hoping with everything in me that she would try to talk and get to know us again. I guess I was wrong. We finally make it back to town, passing the sign. 'The City of Forks Welcomes You- Pop 3,246.' I guess it's 3,247 now that Bella was in town.