Chapter 7

I sit with my dad at the kitchen table while he cleans his hunting rifle. I hand him his cleaning oil when he reaches out, not quite looking up, keeping his focus on his gun. Somehow, I always know exactly what he needs before he says anything. Helping him out for years, you get into a routine.

"Are you going out with Jasper today?" Dad glances up at me.

"Yeah. His family is playing baseball again today and invited me." I smile.

"You got a good boy there." Dad picks up his beer. "Keep him."

"I plan on it, dad." I blush slightly.

Before dad can say anything else, Bella walks into the room with another beer.

"Here, dad. I got you another one." She puts it on the table.

He nods, taking a sip of his current one.

"I'm going on a date with Edward Cullen." she blurts out.

His head snaps up at her as if she told him she was gonna jump off a cliff.

"Excuse me?" He asks, as if he didn't hear her.

"I have a date with Edward." She repeats.

Dad looks at me, his brow arched, resting high on his forehead.

"Jasper's younger brother, correct?"

I nod. When Jasper hangs out with my dad and I, he talks about his family. He probably also remembers us talking about him when we were in the hospital after the van accident. Dad looks back at Bella and shakes his head.

"He's too old for you." Dad states.

"We're both juniors. I thought you liked the Cullens." Bella raises an eyebrow.

"And I thought you weren't interested in any of the boys in town." Dad glances at her again.

"Edward doesn't live in town." Bella shrugs. "Were you like this when Alexia brought home Jasper?"

"Jasper is a very nice boy. I also met him before he asked her on their first date." Dad smirks toward me before looking at his rifle.

"It's in the early stages and..." Bella sighs. "Whatever, he's outside right now."

"Now?" Dad asks. "He's out there?"

"He wants to meet you. Officially." Bella nods.

"Good." Dad grabs his rifle.

He cocks it in mock-seriousness.

I giggle. He did the same thing when he met Jasper a few days after I met him.

"Be nice, okay? He's..." she pauses. "Important."

He nods, reassuringly. She runs to the door and dad smirks at me. I shake my head and giggle. I stand and grab my baseball shirt the Cullens got made for me. Edward walks into the room with a huge winter jacket on and a pair of gloves. I raise an eyebrow as he steps toward dad.