Part Four

Skipperrr: so when r we gonna kick Sam out for being a pedophile?

MyNameIsSam: ???

Skipperrr: "camera doesn't work" my ass. Show us a pic or I'm left to assume ur a creepy old man trying to groom us into being kidnapped.

MyNameIsSam: I don't think anyone is that desperate

E_J_K: ONE POINT TO SAM LEGGOOO

MyNameIsSam: my camera quality is shit tho

Skipperrr: don't avoid. Just take a pic with the flash on so we know what u look like.

Sam was left to pace through his home, stopping every once in a while to turn back and stare at the phone, allowing the bright light to envelop his tiny body, despite the fact that it was in the lowest setting possible. Sam was used to dark rooms; he had grown up inside the walls and planned on staying there with the sun only beating down on his back during the occasional borrowing trip or, if God was willing that day, a trip to watch Leo in his natural habitat.

He knew it was considered 'creepy' to sit at the top of Leo's wardrobe and beam down at him from above, but there were days that Sam felt the incessant need to remind himself of what he was in this world. Without the anxieties attached to revealing himself to his closest friend, Sam would've very well gone into the open bedroom and called out to Leo with every intent of showing who he was. However, such a feat would be impossible to accomplish without pain of some sort to stab him in the back and throw him away like the bug he considered himself to be. Sam has gone over every scenario in his head, and revealing himself to Leo wasn't an option. End of story.

It didn't mean he didn't want to.

Skipperrr: u there?

Right, the topic at hand. While all four boys had been chatting for over a week now, Skip was right to be unsettled in the fact that Sam was not willing to send a picture. In any other circumstance, Sam would have agreed without hesitation, but this situation called for a much needed reflection. What he was doing was not normal, and so, he would need to adapt.

Taking a picture of his species was forbidden in all aspects, no if's, and's, or but's required. Sam would be breaking the first of many rules if he went through with it. He was never a rebel like Skip was known to be, either. Sam found that a rule set in place was there for his protection, and for the safety of his species as a whole. To dishonor that would be against everything he was taught growing up.

E_J_k: u don't have to if u don't want to sam. Skips just overprotective

MyNameIsSam: no it's okay, I'll send a picture but I'm not good at selfies. Haha

What was he saying? Was this a bad idea? Would he die from this?

The likely answer was no, he might not die, but a worried bubble rose up in his chest and wouldn't go away until the situation was at ease. If he didn't take the picture, any chance he had at making friends with Skip would cease, or at least it seemed that way. He could do it, not easily, but he could take the picture and get this hurdle over with. Sam knew what he was doing when he sent that first direct message, and now was the perfect time to prove what it meant to him.

If only he could hide a few things.

For one, Sam had a tail. Not a metaphorical tail, or one that could rival that of a tiger; no, this was the tail of a rodent. One that could be hidden with much discomfort, though he wasn't keen on hiding it from anyone, seeing as he took great care of the extra appendage. Thinking about it now caused a ripple to go through his spine, and he waved it around in anxious wags from behind. The tail was a part of him; how was he supposed to take a picture without hiding it? He was much too small to take a picture up close, seeing as the camera lens would be far too blurry for Skip's approval. The last thing Sam wanted was to disappoint his new friends, and so it was decided that a self-timer was to be set and the picture would be taken from far away.

But as luck would have it, the accompanying props that settled in the background of his house were just as foretelling as his own tail was. A key, for example, hung from a sliver of wood protruding from his wall, as did a prized puzzle piece that resembled the edge of a cat's eye if he squinted hard enough. Unless Sam wanted to give away his place inside of a wall, the image would need to be taken up close. There was no right way to go about this.

nucLEOnic: Ok I'm back what did I miss

E_J_K: skips peer pressuring Sam into taking a photo

nucLEOnic: bruh

Skipperrr: not pressuring, just saying. How are we supposed to know who were talking to if we don't even know what he looks like

nucLEOnic: if he's not comfortable with it, we shouldn't ask it of him tbh. Sorry skip I'm with Sam on this one

E_J_K: kinda agree :/

MyNameIsSam: New Image Attachment

E_J_K: ohhhhh shitttttt!

Leo didn't expect to be nervous when he opened the image. It was a normal scenario, but one that he was overthinking to the point of shaking fingers hovering over the button. Leo had been chatting with Sam for over a month now, and was never given so much as a description of what he looked like, and yet here he was, about to finally find out. He couldn't tell if he was nervous or excited.

Turns out, he didn't need to be either. The picture was a pixelated mess of brown hair and blue undertones amongst pale skin. It was clear Sam took the photo with flash, and didn't back away in time to get the camera lens to focus. He took the selfie with a bag of chips, though, seeing as he could determine a blurry synopsis of what Sam's features held for them. Leo was able to make out where his sharp nose melded into his upper lip, where his two thin eyebrows raised up with surprise at the flash. Overall, Sam looked to have elvish features, and Leo cracked a smile at the thought of talking to someone who was most likely shorter than he was.

Sam, for his part, let out a breath of relief that he was able to take a practice picture before deciding what to do. As it turned out, his size rendered the camera physically incapable of focusing in time, and he looked human enough to send the photo without worrying about being called out for the fake alias Skip seemed to find in him.

Skipperrr: Ight. Not a pedo. Is that really the only selfie u have tho lol

MyNameIsSam: not a fan of taking pictures of myself. Not all of us are as obsessed w themselves as u Skip LOL

Skipperrr: kids got jokes...sleep w one eye open tonight

MyNameIsSam: why, u coming over again? Thought I gave u a good enough time last night

Skipperrr: in ur dreams baby

E_J_K: LMAOOO

E_J_K: getting a little jealous that Skip gets all the action tbh

nucLEOnic: same

Skipperrr: nobody said u couldn't join

Sam allowed himself to take a deep breath, sink into his nest of fabrics, and curl his tail around his stomach for warmth. It didn't do much in terms of heat, but he often took it upon himself to imagine the tail was another person's arm, wrapped around his waist and pulling him further away from a life of solitude. Such imagery was not for the faint of heart, and typically gave way for a few tears to fall from Sam on the nights he couldn't stand being alone any longer. This night, however, brought about a smile on his face, and he kept it there until the next morning with the thought of his new friends fresh in his mind.
_____________________________________

A\N: This just in: Sam is only good at making friends because he borrows personalities and tends to adhere to whomever he is speaking to LOL.
As always, please feel free to drop a comment and let me know what you think! Thank you for reading! :)