Part Thirteen

~^ A drawing of Elijah, my favorite fake ginger :) ^~

_____________________________________

        Leo didn't fall asleep the rest of the morning.
   He planned to, of course, but as his thumb brushed from the wild hairs on Sam's head down to the tip of his tail, Leo found himself lost in his thoughts once more. Still, he chose to look at the positives in his situation, and watched Sam rise and fall under his breathing chest for the remainder of the sunrise.
    It was incredible how relaxed Sam became around him after only a night of talking to each other. Leo wanted to say it was out of his own gentle nature and ability to communicate his feelings towards the other, but he knew that was not what ultimately led Sam to trust him. If that were the case, Sam might've come out sooner, before the traps were set.
   No, the only believable reason the human could think of was that Sam was desperate. Whether that be for a friend, or just someone to know of his existence, Leo was unsure, but it seemed to be a mixture of both when he thought deeper about it. After all, it was Sam who messaged Leo first all those months ago, and who had apparently been watching Leo for even longer.
   A tiny person living in his house. Watching him from the walls as he lived his life, totally unaware of the amazing little guy beside him all along. If he had just looked in the corner of his eye for a moment in the past, would he be able to see him? And, when caught, how would Sam react? It wouldn't be the same as their first impression (Thank God for that), but Leo imagined Sam would remain quite scared regardless. That thought ached his heart once more, just picturing his face full of tears, begging for his life.
   How could someone even think about hurting Sam? Sure, he was a cute little creature of unknown origins, but he was also a fun soul to be around in general. Leo didn't become his friend because he was tiny, he became his friend because Sam was one of the most thoughtful individuals he ever had the opportunity to meet. And now that he was sitting on his chest, purring in his sleep, Leo couldn't deny a wave of leaking adoration for his best friend.
   He had loads of time to think about it, and with that time came the simple revelation that no matter what Sam was, or how he went about their friendship after this, Leo would be there to protect and love him as if he were a younger brother. To Leo, Sam was nothing short of family, even if they'd only known each other for less than a year.
   He smiled at that, letting his eyes close against the harsh rays of sunlight drifting through his blinds. Leo always wanted a little brother, and Sam was about as little as they came.
   Leo knew he needed sleep if the day kept approaching the way it was, but he couldn't get out of his thoughts long enough to drift into unconsciousness. Especially not with the fear that he might roll around in his bed after falling asleep, effectively crushing the tiny boy underneath him.
   No, Leo was content to stay awake as long as he needed to, and he could always take a nap later if he was desperate. It wasn't his first all nighter, and it certainly would not be his last.

   It was 8:03 AM before Leo finally heard any resemblance of life shuffling around in the morning. A toilet flushed, and then footsteps made their way closer to his room before he could react. Leo, who's eyes felt like rubber and sandpaper all at once, was far too sluggish to have an actual conversation this early.
   He should've taken Elijah for the early bird type, especially when the flock of ginger hair appeared in his doorway and peaked in to see whether or not Leo had awoken. It was a slim chance, but overall possible, seeing him lying in his bed and staring up at the ceiling as if it were the most interesting thing he could find in the room. Atop Leo's chest, a hand caved over something small and thin, the thumb petting up and down like it was out of his control, and Elijah had a guess as to what it was.
   He skipped his way over with soft padding of his socked feet, only stopping when he reached the edge of the bed and crooked his neck to see the tiny boy- Sam -lying on Leo's chest like it was usual.
   Leo finally moved his gaze to fall upon Elijah, who was grinning like a madman at the sight.

  "Good morning," Eli whispered, but it was still far too loud for how early it was.
   "'Morning," Leo slurred back.
   "Looks like you worked things out?"
   Leo huffed out some air and motioned with his chin to the thumb that was still stroking Sam's tail.
   "Yeah," he breathed. "Don't wanna wake him up yet. He needs sleep"
   "Gotcha," Eli saluted and took that as his cue to leave. The moment he stood, he swung back around and asked "Can I use whatever shit you have to make breakfast?"
   "Just don't touch my grapes," Leo said in response and closed his eyes to signify the end of the conversation. Elijah left just as swift as he came.