Part Eighteen

"What's the weather like today?" Elijah asked out of the blue, shocking everyone from the sentimental moment from just a few seconds ago.

   "It should start snowing after 3, why?"

   "Just wondering. I feel like we should do something fun. We haven't had much time to actually hang out since we came here."

   "Sorry," Sam pitched in, figuring he was the reason they had been so distracted.

   "Don't apologize, I'd rather it was the four of us doing nothing than only three going to see a movie or some shit," Skip spoke up, and flashed a look at Sam for a split second to take in his smile.

   "I've never seen a movie. Apart from last night, but I fell asleep before it finished," Sam admitted, receiving an over-the-top gasp from Elijah above him.

   "WHAT?!"

   "Relax, you'll burst his ear drums," Leo cut Eli off with a grin and looked down at Sam. "Do you want to see one today?"

   Sam allowed his tail to swish from left to right as he nodded his head with an eager bounce.

   "We can see if there's anything good playing," Leo pulled out his phone and began typing out with incredibly fast fingers. Sam always took notice of how quick he could type.

   "We should make a list of everything Sam hasn't done yet, and then do it all before we have to leave," Elijah was content with brushing a finger back on Sam's tail, now that it was wagging to a more reasonable degree.

   "That's gonna be a long list," Sam laughed. "I don't even know what I'm missing out on."

   "Have you ever been to a zoo?"

   "...I don't know what that is..."

   "There's exhibits where you can see animals that you normally wouldn't on a day to day basis, and sometimes you can pet them and watch them get fed."

   "...isn't that dangerous?"

   "No, they keep the animals in cages so nobody gets hurt. Sometimes people fall into the cages, though. It doesn't usually happen."

   "Are the animals okay with being trapped in cages?"

   "...not really?"

   "But people do it anyway?"

   "I guess so," Eli stuttered, lowering his head a little. "I haven't really put much thought into it."

"I'm sure zoo's can be good sometimes, too!" Sam quickly backtracked, taking notice to how distraught he made Elijah feel.

   "There are zoos that don't really trap the animals, they just take injured ones and heal them until they feel better," Skip interrupted. "Those are the only ones I go to."

   "Then I'd like to go to one, too," Sam smiled once more. "Put it on the list, Eli!"

   "Okay, there are a few movies here but only two of them are new and they're both horror. Would that work?" Once Leo found the website and read through, he alerted the group.

   "It's up to Sam."

   "...can we leave if I get uncomfortable?"

   "You know you can. Just be sure to tell us, even if you think you can stick it out, okay?"

   "Okay," Sam allowed the relaxed aura of the room to take over, and he let out a deep breath at the thought of being protected by three giants. "Thanks, guys."

   "Don't Thank us yet," Skip pointed out. "We might be the reason you piss your pants at the jumpscares."