Part Thirty-Three

Leo's parents were generous people, but even the nicest individuals have rules to uphold in their own household.

The most important, being a sense of responsibility appointed to their Son, who promised to keep the house clean and presentable in the time he was allowed his friends over for the month. They trusted him enough to stay out of trouble, as he usually did, and spoke with his friends over the Internet on enough occasions to believe things wouldn't go to hell while they were gone.

Mr. And Mrs. Green also made sure it was known that the moment they came back, it was expected the guests had left already. They were allowed an incredible amount of freedom while the parents were on their cruise, and because of this, the rule set in stone was not to be tampered with.

Which is precisely the reason why, upon hearing that Leo's parents were coming home a week early from their trip, the rest of the group were audibly upset.

Elijah held Axel a little tighter in his hands, the realization that he would be leaving in the next day dawning upon him like the storm that just passed.

Skip looked to the borrower's parents with a blank-slated face, gauging their own expressions in order to communicate just what the situation meant for everyone.

And Leo's solemn eyes geared in Sam's direction. They were both completely unaware of what came next, and to be honest, it frightened them both more than anything. Something had to be discussed, and it had to be discussed quicker than the present.

"What day are they coming back?" Sam whispered, yet the room was quiet enough to hear him loud and clear.

"Two days from now. Which means tomorrow-"

"-We need to leave," Eli interjected. His eyes couldn't leave -wouldn't leave- Axel's frail form in his palms, who stared right back with huge, anxious eyes.

"I'm not going anywhere," Sam said, and he had never been more resolute about anything in his life. He wasn't going to argue with his parents, he didn't have the energy or the courage after just speaking with Jamie, and so Sam simply waited for them to refute him with daggers in his eyes.

"Maybe this is something we should talk about somewhere else," Drizzle suggested, and the humans in the room let out a deep breath at the release of tension between the little people.

—-

"So, tomorrow?" Asked Skip, leaning against the side of the couch after settling down from the debate within the kitchen. The borrowers were left to their own devices to talk things out, and that left the humans alone for the first time in what felt like forever. Whether it was because of the lack of an argument between Sam and his parents, or the fact that Skip no longer had to worry about breathing too harshly in Axel's direction, he felt at ease amongst his friends.

Leo fell into the couch, feeling the leftover warmth from Jamie on his back as he tossed and turned, the exact opposite of Skip. He wasn't quite sure why, but the feeling of not having Sam around was...terrifying. Anxiety inducing. Horrible. He didn't want to endure it anymore than necessary.

"I guess," He groaned, twisted to watch Elijah, who was standing still in the corner of the room.

"Leo, I like your parents, but they really chose the worst timing," Eli admitted to the group, receiving nods of agreement all around. "This sucks. I have to book a flight now."

"That's what you're upset about?

"Well, that and the other thing."

"What other thing?"