||9. Singing contest to remember||

“Time decides who will you meet in life,
Your heart decides
who you want in life,
But, your attitude decides
who will stay in your life.”

****

The whole week Swara ignored Sanskar. It was hard for her as she was in charge of interns. However, she managed to keep it professional. She doesn’t know how to deal with her feelings. Ever since Sanskar appeared in her life again, it has gotten more complex. As if before it wasn’t complicated enough.

Being a single working mother, her life was tangled with hardships. Having no time spent with her daughter, most time is spent in the hospital. His access only confounds her predicament.

Why he had to come now? Only to mess up her life. A thought comes to her mind to run like before. It was not a horrible idea though. She has done the same thing five years ago. She can go to a place where no one recognizes her and begins a new life. But Siya?

Siya won’t have a normal childhood if she keeps on shifting. Moreover, running away is a cowardly thing. She wasn’t ready to be a coward again. To worse, he may find her again. Though she runs, how much she can run? How far she can go? This time she’s not alone. There’s Siya to protect.

****

“Mumma, time to wake up.” Swara covers herself with the duvet. Siya scrunches her nose staring at her sleeping mother, “You’ll get late to the hospital.” She woke up pulling her blanket. Swara was never an early riser. Siya was the one who woke her.

Strange! How roles are reversed!

Wasn’t mothers usually look up to their children? Not the other way around.

“Sometimes I feel you’re my mother.” She says tossing out of bed. She took a quick shower. Then she went into the kitchen to make breakfast for Siya.

Siyali was tailing her mother. The anxiety on her face was visible to Swara. “Mumma there’s competition.” The way she said it doesn’t give Swara a good vibe.

“Which competition?” she drawls out.

Emotions bloom inside Siya. “Singing?” She squeals.

“No..” She rejected the idea of her daughter taking part in a tricky contest. Heck! Swara knows how the worst face of that musical battle. Either you make allies or will make rivals. As much you gain from singing there is something precious to give up at its cost. Anyway, Siya was too small to go through it.

“Mumma I want to participate.” Though her pleadings melt Swara’s heart, she’s reluctant to give her permission.

“You’re too small for that competition.” She reasoned.

“But the teacher said I can.” Obstinate Siyali affirms, “Mumma please I’m a big girl.” Her pleas made Swara begrudgingly concede.

“Fine.” Bundles of joy enveloped Siya. “Thank you ma. You are the best mom in the world.” She squeaked out.

Mist in Swara's eyes grabs Siyali attention. Curiousness bubbles within Siya. Her mother is sentimental towards singing, she contemplated. At the age of four, Siya is very mature.