●•°•●third●•°•●

i open the front door.

"mom?" i call out.

"grab some snacks, a pillow, and anything else you want. we have to visit someone."

what? visit who? i haven't visited my grandma in a while, but why is it so important to see her right at this moment?

"mom what's happening," i say more demanding.

"i'll tell you when you get in the car." she demands back. i decide not to argue and just pack what she told me to.

once we get things ready we go to her car. when we start driving, i ask questions.

"so, why are we leaving, who are we gonna see?"

"ok, so right after you left to see..."

"clay." i remind her.

"clay, i got a call from someone."

"and, who was it?"

"someone you've never met before."

"what's their name?"

"jonas."

"who are they?"

she waits, wondering if she should tell me or not.

"my long lost brother," her voice is raspy.

i stop moving, and stare at her. why hasn't she ever mentioned him? i have an uncle, that i didn't even know about. i sit back in my seat, taking everything in. i've gone my whole life not knowing i had another uncle. 17 years.

after a moment of silence, i ask,

"why didn't you tell me?"

she hesitates.

"i haven't remembered him until now," her voice breaks. did something happen when she was little?

"what... happened to him?" i look her direction. she sighs, almost crying.

"a long time ago, a really long time ago, he was- he got-" she finish before breaking down.

"mom, it's ok." her eyes glance to me and back to the road. her eyes are red with dread, what happened?

"some sick person," she waits, "took him away from us," tears fall down her cheek. took him away? my eyes are full of confusion. she looks at me and sighs once again. "someone kidnapped him, when he was three. three! who does that to a three year old?" her words are full of disgust. i don't know how to react, my eyes are wide and i'm staring at her while she's crying. "i didn't even know he was alive."

"it's not your fault, mom," i try to reassure her.

"i know, i know." she shakes her head.

from there on, the ride is silent for a good 15 minutes.

"where does he live?"

"we still have two hours." only two hour? he's closer than i thought.