Chapter 3 & Interlude- First birthday celebration

A/N:

After reading the story again, I just noticed just how many errors I made especially chapter 1. Bunch of typo, wrong grammar and such. Fixed some of them but there still might be some which I missed so it would help me if you would point it out and it would really make me happy if someone could proofread while reading. Of course I'm not forcing you, if only you possess such kind heart (pfft!)... Well anyway, here's my chapter 3. Enjoy!

--------------------

Alex, almost 5 years of age

3 years passed in a blink of an eye and now I'm about to turn 5. In human race, birthdays doesn't hold of great importance. They only celebrate birthdays when one turns 5, 10, and 20. Only nobles get to celebrate birthdays every year and as a commoner, we follow the traditions.

I myself, doesn't think badly of this and in fact, it's the opposite. I only think of birthdays as a pain.

Only a few months and it's gonna be my birthday. Now looking back at what I've done in these past year is nothing remarkable. Lessons just continued and everything is still the way it is. If I have to mention one, I've got two underlings now namely, Shiina and Kane. They're my neighbors next door. My mother introduced me to our neighbor and they're twin. Both of them are the same age as me but my mental age is what's different from theirs. I met them when I was still 3. They are not that smart or they might not be knowledgeable yet. I also learned few things from them, that they take their lessons when they became 3 which really gave me a question. If so, knowing the standards, why did my parents teach me when I was only 1? Well, it may be different to various household. But that's one thing which really took my curiosity and due to this, I asked my parents.

"Mom, why didn't you teach me magic at 3? Shiina and Kane told me they took the lessons at the same time they took other lessons"

Hearing my sudden question, my mother look at me dumbfounded. Shadow was casted on her beautiful face as she looks downwards. My father who was also at the vicinity, have the same expression. They then lift up their faces at the same time with renewed vigour. Their eyes have the flames of courage. They then exchange glances and nodding at the same time before turning back to me.

"Alex doesn't possess the necessary amount of mana to freely make use of magic, that's why we can't teach you magic"

As my mother answered my question, her eyes took a change. Those eyes, I think I've seen those, it really feels nostalgic.

"Don't sweat it! You can be a warrior when you grow up!"

"What warrior? Who would want such a barbaric job"

"Then what do you suppose Alex should be?"

"With such intelligent mind, he'll be a splendid merchant"

"Too boring, if you're a man, you've got to live the life of an adventurer, it's man's romance!"

"Oh, why did I fell for such a man"

With the two's comical exchange I finally understand everything. That eyes, that eyes which is full of sympathy is the same when that granny came to the house. What that granny did before must be something that analyze over our potential as mage. And the reason why my parents teach me in an early age must be because they want me to become a merchant so that I can live in this world by myself.

They really are a thoughtful parents. This warmth I feel from them, is something I have long forgotten. But as I remember those feelings, guilt is within its side. That girl wasn't able to experience such feelings.

[No, no, I mustn't get swallowed up! Alex and Jun is different person], saying these to myself, I've resolve myself once again.

"I want to be a merchant and a warrior, I want to be both!"