Chapter Thirty-one

If you haven't read chapter 29 or 30, go back! Please vote on those chapters as well so this story reaches more people. Also, I will be going back and editing these author's notes at the end of the week so future readers won't be confused when reading these messages. I'll inform you guys beforehand so you don't get your hopes up for a new chapter.

You could only watch helplessly as Hop disappeared into the crowd of challengers and spectators. You whipped around to Bede, who had a cruel smirk on his face.

"What's your problem?" you spat.

"My problem is that brats like you and Hop think you'll actually win the Gym Challenge," Bede replied nastily. "I have to teach the two of you that you don't have what it takes."

"Clearly you don't have what it takes, since you got banned from the Gym Challenge and disowned by the precious Chairman," you snapped.

Bede's scowl fell and he was silent.

"That's right!" you exclaimed. "Just because your biological parents ditched you doesn't mean you can be nasty to everyone else. Even your own adoptive father didn't want you around anymore! I wish you would disappear from our lives too!"

Was that going too far? Yes. Did you care? No. Bede needed to get a taste of his own medicine. Sure, you were stooping to his level, but you were sick of how terribly he treats people.

Unbeknownst to you, the same old reporter had caught this exchange on tape. Not the part leading up to your insults, but just captured the moment where you lashed out at Bede. The reporter smirked at their dumb luck and disappeared before either you or Leon noticed his presence.

"Don't forget, little girl, I'm the one who made you beg for mercy," Bede snarled before stomping away.

You felt a chill up your spine from the threat.

Only now you realized that people had been watching. Your face flushed as you saw the disapproval on others' faces, impressed on others, and grateful for the rest. Leon was standing across the lobby, pretending not to know you.

You rolled your eyes, but understood. He can't get involved with a bunch of drama because of the image he wanted to preserve for his fans.

You walked out, knowing Leon would soon follow you. You thought of where Hop could have went. You didn't have a clear idea, but you knew he was either travelling to the next town to get away from this town as soon as possible, or he was heading deep into the forest for solitude.

You scowled as you thought of all the nasty things Bede has done to you and others.

You decided it would be best to give Hop some space. He didn't want to open up about anything before. You had pieced together that Bede had taken a few jabs at Hop before Hop arrived to Ballonlea. It would explain his sudden unhappiness and low self-esteem. Hop was a very sensitive individual, so it didn't surprise you in the slightest that Bede's words would negatively affect him like this.

You decided the best course of action was to get to Hammerlocke since you had to go though there in order to get to the next city of the Gym Challenge.

As you were reaching the edge of the town, Leon rushed over to you.

"Sorry for not catching up sooner, I got stopped by press to answer questions about my thoughts on the Gym Challenge right now," Leon replied. "Thankfully, they haven't asked about us just yet."

"They're probably waiting for more proof," you replied. "They're definitely suspicious after I watched Hop's match with you in the press box. I bet it's going to be on social media tonight."

Leon frowned. "I wonder when the other picture will be on the internet."

He was referring to the picture of you and Leon hugging. You had mixed feelings about what could possibly happen.

"I've decided that the best thing to do is not dwell on what could happen," you affirmed. "Besides, there are other things more important to worry about. Hop is hurt right now and is at an all-time low."

Leon looked guilty. "I've been a horrible brother. I didn't stand up for him because of my job, and I didn't notice that he was in emotional pain."

You put a hand on Leon's shoulder. "It's not your fault! I barely noticed anything and I only did because I'm fantastic at reading people. If anything, it's Bede's fault as he's the reason Hop is upset."

Leon gave you a small smile. "This is why I care about you so much. You know how to cheer me up."

You gave him the same small smile.

"Anyway, I think we should separate for a bit from here," Leon started. "I know, this is sudden, but people will begin to question things if I'm constantly following you around to every city and Gym. I also have some business with Chairman Rose."

You nodded. "I understand. But when will I see you again?"

"Soon," Leon reassured.

You were disappointed with the vague answer. Before you could complain, Leon pulled you in for a hug, which you gladly reciprocated. As you pulled back, Leon grabbed you by the shoulders and kissed you. You froze, unsure of what to do.

You kissed back, feeling butterflies fluttering in your stomach and your heart soaring. Even though it was only a second, it felt like a year.

You were disappointed as Leon leaned back, ending the kiss.

"Til next time," Leon said simply as he sent out Charizard.

You watched as he mounted Charizard and flew above the treetops of the glowing forest. Your hand clutched the neckline of your chest as you tried to calm your rapidly beating heart.

---

After a few minutes of you trying to catch your breath, you decided to pull the town map off of your phone to find the next location details.

It only took a few moments of scrolling before you found the information you needed. The Gym was in a city called Chirchester and was an Ice-type Gym. The Gym Leader was a beautiful woman named Melony.

As you started to form a strategy against Melony and her Pokemon, your phone started receiving dozens of notifications.

Confused, you looked through the notifications to see angry messages from multiple people you have never met.

Confusion turned to shock, then to fear.

Your worst nightmare has occurred.

The photo of you and Leon was published with an article explaining the picture was more than platonic, along with a video of your cruel words to Bede.

1079 words.

I've really been generous with the cliffhangers this story week.

Thank you for the read and don't forget to vote!