Chapter 11

Aaron drove them back to the apartment. They were making plans to get an airplane back to LA later in the week. Idina wasn't sure how they would all fit, but she was sure they would make it work.

She sat in the back seat with Erika, while Walker, elated to be sitting shotgun, talked for the entire ride.

Erika's arm was resting on the armrest, her chin in her palm as she stared out the window. Idina took the time to study her. Her cheeks were a bit more full, and she was pretty sure the girl had grown a bit since they'd last met. She certainly looked older. Idina assumed she had been eating well for those two months. She had a job after all, and Erika did not seem like she would have stuck around if she was being treated poorly once she became a runaway. 

Was there room enough for the four of them in the flat? Idina was unsure. It did not matter though. She would end her lease this month and they would go back to LA. There was enough room for everyone in her house in LA.

Erika would need clothes, and a proper bed, she realized. They could give her a guest room temporarily, but the girl should have her own space. And not a closet where the door could barely open. 

Idina shivered. That room was a fire hazard.

She wondered what Erika liked. What colours, clothing styles. They would have to go shopping. That would be interesting. She already knew what high school she would enroll Erika in because she's thought about those things constantly. What she hadn't realized was how much nothing Erika would have and how much something Idina would have to come up with.

When the got back to the apartment, Walker beelined to the TV. Aaron walked in behind him, looking around in approval. Erika only entered after Idin prompted her to, and she stuck by the door, her hand nervously digging into her elbow behind her back.

Walker then noticed that Erika was still standing by the door, and he pulled her towards the TV ready to show her his favourite shows. 

Aaron shrugged when Idina looked at him, questioning. Walker knew what was going on. They'd made sure of it. Idina should be relieved that he was taking it so well, but she was worried that something might be lost on him, or that he might be smothering Erika. 

Erika did not protest. She was wearing the same faded jeans and pink tee-shirt that Idina had found her in, though they had been washed. She still had Idina's jacket around her shoulders. She sat on the couch with her knees pulled to her chest and arms wrapped tightly around her legs. 

Idina pointed Aaron in the direction of the bedroom and helped him unpack the few things he had brought including toothbrushes.

Erika would need a toothbrush.

She had not thought this through. 

"It'll be fine," Aaron said, sensing her nervousness. "I talked to her while you were asleep. She seems pretty level headed at least. And Walker likes her."

"Walker likes anyone who gives him the time of day and doesn't try to take a picture of me."

Aaron chuckled. "True, he's a bit of diva, just like his mom."

Idina rolled her eyes. "What do you think of Erika, honestly?"

"Honestly, she's been through more than either of can understand. I think she's deliberately giving you a hard time because she's scared. And I don't think it's going to magically go away. And I'm ready to be collateral damage, but I also think she's smart enough to leave Walker out of it. But I only met her a few hours ago," he said. 

Idina nodded. "We have to go shopping. I just realized she doesn't have a toothbrush. Or pyjamas. Or a change of clothes. I guess I imagined I would not be saving her from kidnapping and she would theoretically have a few things."

Aaron hugged her. "I could go out if you want, just give me a list."

Idina shook her head. "I think that's something we need to do together. My mom went shopping with me all the time, even when I did not want her too," she chuckled. 

"Are you sure," Aaron questioned. "Do you want me to come with you or-"

"Then who would look after Walker?"

"Right," he sighed. "Just, be careful."

Idina nodded. "I will." She figured she had a better idea of the danger of going out with Erika. As in, she had a better idea of how unknown it will be. Erika could stay placid, as she was now, or draw a crowd with an outburst. There were so many variables. 

Idina would be walking through a minefield. And she would walk through a literal minefield if it meant keeping Walker and Erika safe. She may only be Erika's foster mother, but she planned don legally adopting Erika as soon as she was allowed too. If that did not make a point, she had no idea what would. She just had to hold out until then.