Chapter 30

Hey guys! I'm not sure what it was about this chapter but I had a really hard time writing it. I'm still not 100% happy with it, but I think it's about as good as it's going to get. As a writer, unfortunately there are times where you just have to move on from a chapter. Perhaps I'll go back and edit it a bit after the book is finished (which is coming up fast!).

But for now, I hope you guys enjoy chapter 30!

The stupendous typography below was created by @sereneur. They really went above and beyond this time by making it a gif this time, which is so cool!

 They really went above and beyond this time by making it a gif this time, which is so cool!

Not long after her training session with Clary, Maryse had found Celeste and asked her to keep Max occupied for the afternoon to keep him out of trouble

Not long after her training session with Clary, Maryse had found Celeste and asked her to keep Max occupied for the afternoon to keep him out of trouble. Celeste was happy to do so, always looking for a reason to spend more time with her little brother.

Despite his protests, they spent much of the afternoon in the library studying runes. Max had shown a lot of talent in the more physical aspects of his training, but he struggled with the parts that involved reading from a book. Celeste was determined to help him become a well rounded Shadowhunter.

After a lengthy argument, Celeste brought him to her favorite corner of the library to begin what would be a prolonged study session.

"But how can you tell the difference between the Awareness Rune and the Abundance Rune? They look the same to me." Max asked, getting frustrated.

"You're right, they do look very similar. But you can always tell based on where the circle is placed along the line. If we draw a straight horizontal line like this," Celeste said, drawing as she spoke, "If we put the circle in the center like this, we've drawn the Abundance Rune. If we put the circle on the far left side like this, we've drawn the Awareness Rune."

"How am I supposed to remember that?" Max complained.

Celeste just smiled patiently. "Practice. The more you look over these runes and identify them, the better you'll get at telling them apart."

He sighed. "Can you explain the difference between the Fireproof Rune and the Enlighten Rune again?"

Celeste giggled. "We just went over that one Maxy."