XV

If I were to count the biggest fights we've ever had, I'd come up with two.

The first one was messy. I was tired. He was tired. Nick didn't have a lot of time for me because he was on tour which I should've understood and usually, I do understand but I was in the depths of my insecurity to even talk to him with a clear head.

I said things and he said things which eventually led to our break up.

The second is this one. He suggests to get a house because apparently he hasn't been feeling like he belongs in my house. I was about to apologize when he said things and I said things. 

We couldn't settle it properly. For the past few days, and yes, it has been days, we barely talked to each other. Whenever I would bring up the subject especially when we're having a civil conversation about the progress of his single or my book, Nick would immediately retreat back to his cold shoulder cave. He dismisses it.

I have never seen him this angry at me before.

We never really got another chance to sit down and discuss everything. Nick just...got busy all of a sudden. Suddenly, he's out of the house and coming back at the end of the day. And because he was still not in a talking mood with me, I never got the chance to ask him about what he has been working on for the past few days.

"Just let him cool down, dear."

After five days, I sought my mother's comfort. I was in the brink of my anxiety when I decided to call her to keep my mind off things. 

"You and Nick need to talk about it. Tell him what you feel and let him tell you how you feel." She was in her office in the bakery that day when I video called her. It must've surprised her because we only talk on the phone but I needed to see a familiar face. I needed my mom.

"Easier said than done. He won't even stay for long." I nibbled on my bacon. I fried a bunch before calling and settled on my bar counter.

My mother took off her reading glasses. "He needs time. You need time. I love you, Y/N, and I feel like you have to decide for the both of you now. Marriage requires you to give and give. It requires sacrifices. It requires patience."

"Why is it so hard, mom? We aren't even married yet. What is marriage supposed ro be like mom?"

"Stable. It may not sound romantic but your life will become secure. You'll be with your spouse for the rest of your life. You'll build your life together and have routines." Whenever my mom talks about my dad, she gets this look on her face like she's in a dream. I want that. They always seem so happy together. Peaceful. Quiet.  "Having that and knowing that at the end of the day, you'll have your partner with you, that makes life stable."

"I want that. Why can't we be like that?" I grumbled, finishing a strip and starting with another one.

She looked at the camera, "Dear, we worked on ourselves. We've always thought that we deserve more but I couldn't just let him go so I became more. It takes a lot of time and effort, my love. Perfect couples aren't born. They're made."

I stared at my mother for awhile and realized that she was right. Marriage needs a lot of work and I should start prioritizing us rather than me before I lose him.

"I'll call Nick. Thanks mom." I sent flying kisses to my mother - being quite the mommy's girl that I am.

"Don't forget to eat, Y/N. You're looking thin!" Was my mother's goodbye.

I dialed Nick's number, "Hey…"

"Hi Y/N. Sorry, Nick's buying snacks and he left his phone here." A girl answered his phone.

I felt cold. Literally cold. Like a bucket of ice water was poured on me.

Who is she and why is she answering my fiance's phone?

"Who...who is this?"

"Oh. Sorry. Ila Thomson." I know that name. She's this up and coming singer who rose to fame when a video of her singing went viral last year. "We're working on his song together. Did he not tell you?"

I bit my lower lip and just answered, "No. Which song?"

"Love Letter! Nick asked if I could sing it with him since he did the first one alone." I know. "We thought it would be amazing to make it into a duet." She sounded absolutely excited about the idea when it was, in fact, me who was supposed to sing it with him.

Why did he not ask me again?

"Oh right. Okay. Well...enjoy then." I ended the call and didn't even let her say goodbye.

Nick doesn't talk to me for five days. He works with this beautiful singer and doesn't even tell me. He decided to rerecord Love Letters and didn't ask me but instead asks another person to do it with him.

I felt slapped across the face.

It stung. It completely stung.

Did he do this on purpose? He knew how to hurt me and he did it pretty well.

I stayed in bed that afternoon until Nick came in the bedroom. He was unbuttoning his shirt and looked like he wanted to take a bath. I shifted on the bed and looked at him, pointedly waiting for him to explain. Ila Thomson must have told him I called.

He met my eyes and just left for the bathroom, leaving me without a thought to secure myself in the midst of our fight.