Chapter 06: Constant Companion

Tasha's POV

"Sorry ma'am you cant go there," the cop told me

"You've got to let me in, can't you see? our house is burning down, I need to get to my parents, everything they work so hard for is burning down with them inside." I scream as I struggled to get past the red caution tape that surrounds our burning house.

"Sorry ma'am the fire fighters are doing all there can."I looked back to the house with vision that have been blurred by tears.

It was badly destroyed with the fire fighters working hard to quench the fire. Tho it look very bad, I still had a tiny bit hope my parents would come outta there alive.

"Are you miss Natasha Brown?" Another cop who just walked toward us asked

I just nod cause my throat had been blocked by the tears

"I'm sorry we have no survivor." I freezed a second, then two, then three and it finally clicked. I felt the sudden pain that pierced my head and my heart. My knees weakened and I drop to the ground and let out a heartbreaking scream.

My life is fucked. Where would I start from. I had a younger sister.

"I'm so sorry ma'am." The cop said giving me a pat but I felt totally numb.
***
I tosed and turned from one side of my bed to another. Then my eyes flutters open. I furrowed my brow, few droplets of sweats on my forehead

I felt like all the air in my lungs had gone on a vacation. I was hyperventilating. I sat up on my bed still panting and grasping for air, my head now pound heavily.

I looked over at Megan, relieved to find that she was still sleeping peacefully. A tear escaped my eye and I quickly wiped it away.

My costant companion had returned to me, my nightmares.

I Don't know how long I sat there just staring into the darkness. My body tensed and tired, my heart numbed from pain. My breathing had steadied and tears stopped.

I dragged myself out of the bedroom to the kitchen to make breakfast. I was careful not to wake Megan up. She sure needs the sleep I couldn't get.

After God knows how long I stood in the kitchen debating on what to make, or should I say spacing out every second, I decided to settle for pancakes.

My morning went on very dull. Spending hours in the shower and staring into the bathroom mirror to see my reflection. Faint black bags takes their place under my eye from the lack of sleep. I'm gonna have to cover that up.

"Meg!, time to get up" I shook Megan and her eyes flutter open and she frowns at the sight of my face. Yeah I know I look like stressed.

"Are you okay Tash?" she asked worriedly

"Yeah good morning to you too kiddo." I tried to change the topic, I hate bothering her with my problems.

"Don't play smart with me Tash, tell me what's wrong?" she pressed. I should have know this kid doesn't just let things go.

I sigh and sat beside her in bed. I took her palms in mind and looked her straight in the eye and lied to my sister

"I'm fine Meg, you don't have to worry about me. Now get your ass in that shower, I already made breakfast."

She pulled me into a hug "I love you sister,"

"Love you too baby." I reply returning her hug

****

I resume my work of waiting tables today. So far I'm not having any regrets in this new temporary work especially when I have the opportunity of meeting hot costumers.