Apologies

Lydia found Adam and Barbara sulking in the attic fifteen minutes later. Their heads down. She approached them quietly, unsure of what to say.

That's when they looked up at her...the moment she sat herself down across from them. A smile formed on Lydia's face and the Maitlands adopted equal smiles on their faces. "Are you here to apologize to us, Lydia?" Barbara asked.

Lydia nodded, stood up, and sat herself in between both ghosts. She placed an arm around their shoulders. "I'm sorry," Lydia said. "For telling you guys I would rather not spend time with you."

"Apology accepted," the Maitlands said in unison.

Lydia smiled — even more this time.

Even though they didn't need to eat, the Maitlands decided to join Lydia, Charles, and Delia for lunch. But still, Delia chose to place two plates of food in front of the two ghosts. They smiled to her in thanks and just stared down at their food.

"Is something wrong, you two?" Charles asked both ghosts.

"Nono," Barbara said with a laugh. "We're fine, Charles."

Charles just nodded, picking up his fork and beginning to eat his food. Delia and Lydia did the same and the Maitlands just watched them eat.

As Delia and Barbara cleared away the dishes, Charles sat with Adam on the couch and the two of them were talking about various things that ranged from what Adam's life was like before he and Barbara died to what Charles's life was like before moving in.

Lydia had since gone upstairs to her room, presumably to do her own thing. None of her parents knew what it was.

Lydia closed the door to her bedroom and sat herself down on her bed, resting a hand on her chin. She didn't want her dad to know she was going back to the Netherworld to try to search for her mom again nor did she want him to find out.

But first, she needed to do something.

With a breath, she spoke, "Betelgeuse! Betelgeuse! Betelgeuse!"

He appeared in a flash of light not too long after, standing in front of Lydia. "Did you need anything, Scarecrow?"

"I want to go to the Netherworld to search for my dead mom," Lydia said quietly, hoping not to be overheard by her father. "It's the first anniversary of her death and I'd like to have a chance to be able to talk to her again."

"No can do, Scarecrow," was Betelgeuse's response.

Lydia's eyes widened. "W-what?"

"She's already been seen and is most likely doing her own thing in the Netherworld, Lyds. You won't be able to find her even if you tried. Don't you remember the last time you went to the Netherworld to try and search for her?"

"How do you know this?" Lydia asked carefully and quietly.

"How do I know this?" Betelgeuse repeated, thinking to himself. "Let's just say I was there when she first arrived to the Netherworld. You did see her ghost leave for the Netherworld last year? Did you not? Or were you not able to see ghosts by then?"

Lydia tried her best to remember if she did or not then it came flooding back to her. "Actually," she said, "I might have done but I don't remember. I'll go downstairs and ask my dad."

Lydia came back upstairs five minutes later and closed her bedroom door before focusing her attention towards Betelgeuse, who was now floating in midair — a few feet above Lydia's bed. He focused his attention onto her and disappeared in a flash of light before reappearing sat on the ground in front of Lydia.

As Lydia sat herself down, Betelgeuse asked, "What did your dad say, Scarecrow?"

"He told me that he did notice me acting weird after my mom died," Lydia explained. "Staring towards the wall as if there was something there."

"Like a door that led to the Netherworld and a flash of light?" Betelgeuse asked knowingly.

Lydia nodded. "I told him that that was exactly what I saw."

"Lydia!" shouted a voice from downstairs.

Lydia got up and turned towards Betelgeuse. "I'll be back," she said.