A Ghostly Conversation

Betelgeuse appeared in the middle of the attic of the Maitland-Deetz house in a bright flash of light and both Maitlands looked up at him in confusion. Adam set down the paintbrush he was using and Barbara put a bookmark in the book she was reading before closing it and putting it down on a table next to the rocking chair she was sitting in.

Both ghosts, concerned for their demon friend, approached him. Betelgeuse looked like he'd just had an argument with Lydia, which was true but not true at the same time. He'd just told her that he wasn't going to take her back to the Netherworld and she'd shouted at him.

"Betelgeuse?" Barbara asked calmly and quietly, placing a hand on the demon's shoulder. "Is everything okay?"

He chose not to answer, his hair turning a light Blue. And that's when Barbara started to notice faint tears dripping down the demon's face.

"Mr. Betelgeuse?" Barbara tried again. "Is everything okay?"

"Does it look like everything's okay, B-Town?" Betelgeuse finally found himself asking the female ghost. "Lydia yelled at me."

"Why did Lydia yell at you, Mr. Geuse?" Adam asked.

"I...uh..." Betelgeuse started, coming to a loss for words. He sat himself down on the attic floor. "I told her that I wasn't going to take her back to the Netherworld and she yelled that she knew that to me. It kinda upset me." At that, Betelgeuse's hair became a brighter shade of Blue.

Barbara turned to Adam, concerned and confused. He shrugged in response and Barbara refocused her attention back over towards Betelgeuse.

"I'm sure she didn't mean to yell at you, Betelgeuse," Barbara calmly explained to the demon sitting on the floor in front of her and Adam. "But did you ever consider that she may have had a reason for doing so?"

"I didn't think about it," Betelgeuse finally said after a few minutes of silence shared between all three dead people.

Adam and Barbara smiled at Betelgeuse and the demon stood up, making his way over towards the attic door. He called over his shoulder, "I think I'm going to find and spend some time with Lyds. I'll see you guys some other time!"

"Okay!" they shouted back.

Betelgeuse opened the door to the attic before going through it and closing it behind him. Satisfied, the Maitlands went back to what they were doing before their conversation with Betelgeuse.

Betelgeuse found Lydia in the lounge, watching one of her favorite ghost hunting shows. The photo album he'd watched her go through was nowhere in sight, leading Betelgeuse to guess that Lydia had left it in her dad's office because Charles was much to busy to be spending time with her for the moment.

He was adamant at staying completely quiet in order to make sure that his best human friend didn't notice that he was there with her. One slight noise from him would surprise the teenager.

That's when an idea popped into the demon's mind.

With little to no hesitation, Betelgeuse turned himself invisible and wrapped his arms around Lydia before floating up into the air and taking the teenager with him. Lydia's eyes widened in surprise and she looked down towards the living room below her.

It then hit her. With a simple eye roll and a few laughs, she spoke up knowingly, "Beej? What are you doing?"

That was that. He became visible to her again and snickered a little. "Nothing?" he teased playfully as he began to tickle the teenager nonstop. "I just wanted to spend some more time with my bestest human friend ever."

"Okay, okay, we can spend some more time together. Just stop tickling me and put me down first," Lydia said in between giggles.

That was all Betelgeuse needed to hear. He gently placed a Lydia down on the couch and sat himself down on the couch next to her. He hoped Lydia didn't mind if he rested an arm around her shoulder so that's what he did. Lydia, a small smile appearing on her face, placed a hand on top of Betelgeuse's.

"Betelgeuse?" Lydia spoke up a few minutes later, directing the demon's attention over towards her. "What else did you want to do?"

It was clear she had run out of ideas and the ghost hunting show they were watching had long since ended. God? How long had Betelgeuse not been paying attention for? He focused his attention back over towards Lydia, noting that the teenager was now looking up at him with a look of concern in her eyes.

"Betelgeuse?" Lydia repeated.

It took the demon a while to think of something the two of them could do together. "I was thinking," he began and Lydia listened curiously. "That maybe we could go back upstairs to your room and continue looking at that photo album from earlier. Speaking of which, where did you put it? I don't see it anywhere."

"The photo album that we were looking at earlier," Lydia said, trying her best to remember where she'd put it. Then it came to her. "I left it in my dad's office after he told me that he was too busy to spend time with me. C'mon, let's go see if it's where I left it."

Lydia stood up, turning off the tv, and so did Betelgeuse, the two of them exiting the living room and making their way over towards Charles's office.

The office door was slightly ajar, paperwork covering the desk situated in the center of the room. Charles, a pen in hand, sat at his desk and wrote away on a piece of paper sitting in front of him. He paid no attention to Lydia and Betelgeuse as he worked. At least until Lydia coughed to grab his attention.

Instantly, Charles stopped writing and focused his attention over towards Lydia and Betelgeuse.

"Lydia, Betelgeuse," he spoke up out of surprise. "Did you guys want to look at something?"

When Lydia noticed that the photo album she'd left on her dad's desk was nowhere in sight, she looked to her dad in confusion. "Dad?" she asked. "Where is the photo album I left on your desk?"

"Oh that," Charles said, looking slightly to the side. "I put it away because I thought you were done with it. I can get it back out if you-." He was cut short by Lydia.

"Nono, it's fine. We can look at it some other time."

Before Charles had a chance to respond, Lydia, dragging Betelgeuse behind her, rushed out of her dad's office and upstairs to her room.

Charles shrugged and went back to his work.

Lydia glanced out the window of her bedroom and looked outside. What else was she going to do? That's when an idea popped into her head. "Hey, Beej?" she asked, turning her attention over towards her best demon friend. "How about we go look for some haunted locations within the town? How does that sound?"

"That sounds like a great idea," was Betelgeuse's response. He stood up and went to stand next to Lydia. "Let's go do that right now."

Before Lydia could even respond, a flash of light appeared around her and Betelgeuse and off the two of them went in search for reportedly haunted locations within the town of Winter River.

All was quiet in Lydia's bedroom save for a few knocks on the door.

"Lydia? Betelgeuse? Are you guys in here?" Shouted the frantic voice of Charles on the other side of Lydia's bedroom door. "I'd like to talk to you guys."

A/N: Wow! Another day where I publish two chapters? That's incredible.