Chapter 5: Breakfast

Bzzzt. Bzzzt. Bzzzt. "Oh, come on..." you grumble, reaching out blindly to smack the snooze button. You swung your arm out towards your nightstand- it whizzes through the air, and you suddenly remember. You aren't at home! You startle awake, sitting bolt upright as recollection trickles back to you. A hospital... the hospital... your job. You were at work. You let out a sigh, closing your eyes for a moment before shoving your blankets aside. You could remake the bed later, but for now you needed to silence that heinous ringing. You'd purposefully left your phone out of arm's reach so you couldn't sleep in, and hey! That tactic seemed to work just fine today. Your bare feet on the cold floor woke you even further, making you shiver. With a simple tap you shut off your alarm, knowing you had an hour or so before you had to get working. You'd showered just last night, but another quick clean didn't sound like a horrible idea. Your jaws gaped in a yawn as you dug out a pair of clean scrubs from your drawers, rubbing sleep from your eyes and fetching a clean towel as well. Still sluggish, you stepped outside of your room and hurried down the quiet hallways, jumping as the lights overhead blinked to life with a whirr of electricity. The lumination let you walk a little quicker with more confidence, and before you knew it you were standing outside of the nurse's utilities door, sticking a hand into your pocket for-

Your keys. You didn't have your damn keys. That also meant you were locked out of your room.

"Shit!" you hiss, glancing quickly to your left and then your right, as if your keys would grow legs and run towards you. They didn't, obviously, but you did see Cole, the guy you had met in the nurse's utility room the night before. You smile tightly, embarrassment burning through you at the sight of another human being and the need for rescue.

"Is there a problem?" he called down the hall, picking up his pace to get to you quickly.

"Uh, yeah," you chuckle nervously, "I forgot my keys in my room and locked myself out." you scratch the back of your neck, averting your gaze as Cole lets out an amused snicker.

"Wow, really?" he asks, then hurries to add another sentence at the sight of your annoyed expression, "Sory, sorry," he rushes out, "I've done it myself too, it happens to everyone while they're settling in. Here." Cole pulls out his own keys, unlocking the door to the utilities. "I can call down the other caretaker too, she can let you into your room. Identical keys." he steps back and holds out an arm, motioning for you to step inside.

"Thanks, Cole." you smile, and he simply nods.

"Of course," he slips his keys back into his pocket, and his smile fades, face taken over by a serious glare. "Hey," he catches your wrist before you can leave, "You owe me now, okay?" an awkward pause, and your smile fades, eyes glued to his. The only word you can think to explain him as is sinister, but then he's smiling again, any trace of bad intentions gone. "I'm just kidding," he says, chuckling, "I'll see you around." Cole lets go of your wrist and hurries away, leaving you holding your arm to your chest, confused and a little bit scared. You let out a huff, shaking your head, turning to head into the nurse's utilities.

The door is released, swinging shut with a click behind you and leaving you in total darkness- the lights, right. That's important. You run your hand along the wall as you search for the switch, eyes wide to decipher your surroundings. Your fingers thump against a bump in the wall, and find their place on a small lever. Flick, the lights come alive with a buzz that almost drowns out the drip drip of one of the showerheads or sink faucets. The linoleum floor is almost sticky, damp, and it pulls gently at the skin on your feet as you make your way to a shower stall. You stop in front of the stall door, the same one as last night, lifting your towel to drape it over the hook. For a moment, you hesitate, thinking once more about your towel suddenly disappearing. You had 100% hung it on the hook... right? Okay, maybe you hadn't, that seemed like the thing you would do, but right here, right now, you were definitely hanging your towel on the hook. You hang your new scrubs along with your towel just in case the building owns some mysterious towel-snatching demon, the clothes nearby in order to avoid running naked through the place again when you had needed to fetch them from the sink counters. Who knew if the large bathroom would be empty by the time you were done. You weren't taking any chances.