Chapter 19: Safe and Sound

(A/N): I want to apologize for disappearing the last week! Motivation was bad :( But, here we are, at the last chapter of the book. I'll still have an Epilogue, and I have some stuff planned for that chapter, and then this book will... officially be done. I loved it as I wrote it, and I feel so in love with each and every character I put in. I tried a lot with this, and though some chapters didn't turn out to be as great as I wanted them to be, I made a lot of content that I'm very proud of. So, I have something to ask you guys- what was your favourite chapter? Or, if you'd rather, what's your favourite scene or 'story arc'?

When you finally woke again, you definitely weren't in the asylum. You were lying on a wooden table, evident smears of blood littering the space beneath you. The air around you was stuffy and warm, carrying the smell of rot and wilderness along with it. You force your eyes open, your skull pounding, screaming. Your whole body ached, but you forced yourself to sit up and take in your surroundings, fighting down the panic that threatened to swell inside your chest. The room around you was dark, the walls concrete, littered with cracks, dust and cobwebs. A single lightbulb dangled from the ceiling, giving off a weak glow, swaying back and forth in an invisible wind and throwing light haphazardly around the room.

"You're awake!" you jump out of your skin at a voice, whipping to face it and relaxing at the sight of Danny on a table similar to yours, though he was already sitting up with his back leaning against the wall. You smile widely, leaping from your seat despite the protest from your aching bones, and running towards him. You throw your arms around him in a hug.

"Danny, oh my god you're okay!" you squeal, hearing his pained chuckles. You realize you're probably hurting him- he did get shot, after all- and you leap away.

"I'm okay, Sweetheart. I'm okay." he groans, a hand resting on the bandages running across his upper torso. He wasn't wearing a shirt, and your face flushes, averting your gaze rapidly.

"I-I'm sorry, I probably hurt you and I didn't know you were naked- well, not naked but you know what I mean-"

"Woah, calm yourself there!" Danny held up a hand, scooting forwards and sliding off the table into a standing position. "It's fine. I've been through more than enough to care- and, well... you seem to enjoy the eye candy." he motions down at his chest and abs, which was particularly well-muscled. Your face goes somehow redder, and you cover it with your hands. After no more than a few seconds you pull them away with a deep breath.

"So!" you say, brushing the earlier topic away, "You're not dead!" your smile returns, pushing away the last of your blush.

"Yeah, I guess i am. That's... a good thing, right?" Danny stepped back again, hopping up to sit on the table he had previously been treated on, most likely by Hannibal.

"Of course it is!" you move to sit beside him, "You took a bullet for me, Danny. How can I repay you?" your smile drops into a more serious expression. Guilt bubbled up inside your stomach. "I could have gotten you killed." you tear your eyes away from his staring down at your hands. They were, for the most part, clean of Amanda's blood, but you could still see some of the crimson underneath your fingernails.

"Hey," Danny said, stealing one of your hands away from your gaze and holding it gently in his. "I'm not dead, am I? And it was worth it. Who knows what would have happened to you if I hadn't played hero?"

Danny's smile is nothing short of forgiving, and the guilt inside of you is gone in an instant. You can see that he doesn't regret what he did- not one bit. You smile, and hug him tightly, this time much more gently and without growing flustered. "And now I'll have a sick battle scar!" his tone grows giddy as he pulls away, glancing down once more at his bandages. He had been shot right in the shoulder, and it truly was a miracle that he hadn't been damaged more than he seems to be. The door to the small concrete room opened suddenly with a creaky groan, and in stepped Hannibal with a grim expression. The moment he was inside, spotting both you and Danny awake, the visage was replaced with relief, and a warm smile.