Chapter 14: Freddy Krueger

You stood there for a moment, a small smile on your face, one hand resting on the cool metal of the door. A deep sense of relief washed over you, until you remembered that you would soon have to go back to sleep, unless you stayed up the next 7 to 8 hours and struggled through the day, exhausted. That didn't seem like the worst thing, actually, with lockdown and all. You were sure you could do it if you really tried. You sigh, and step away from the door, turning and heading back towards the direction of your room. The solitary cells fade away behind you, the darkness, pressing around you and sending a shiver down your spine. You wrap your arms around yourself, picking up the pace while still keeping your footsteps as quiet as possible. You pass Michael and Jason's cells, both men nowhere to be seen through the thick windows, and slow to a halt in front of the glass wall of Hannibal's cell. Almost immediately, his form rises from its place on his bed, the dim lasting light from the LEDs overhead casting just enough illumination to see the outline of his features. He shifts his blankets aside neatly, rising completely to his feet and taking calculated, confident steps towards the glass.

"Ms. (L/N)." he says in a flat, greeting tone. "It is a surprise to see you out of bed so soon." his head tilts, and he blinks slowly. "What happens in these nightmares you speak of?" you stare for a moment, momentarily forgetting that Hannibal hears next to everything. "It is alright if you're unwilling to speak with me about them. Nightmare's can be a personal thing, especially with everything that you have experienced recently." he swallows, and blinks slowly once more, "However, I must say that I am a trained psychiatrist, and I would be more than honoured to help someone as wonderful as yourself. The last thing I want is for you to lose sleep."

You swallow thickly, wringing your hands and opening your mouth to speak. You know you can trust him, despite what's been said about him being manipulative and dangerous. Like most of the others, it seems Hannibal had taken a liking to you.

"I..." you begin, biting your lip, "It's stupid. It sounds... fake. Impossible." your words are an attempted excuse, trying to get Hannibal to dismiss the subject. He doesn't, of course. He simply watches you, silently coaxing you to continue. You sigh, and close your eyes, finding it easier to relay the information that way, like a movie playing in your subconscious. "It seemed real, and- I know everyone says that, but I know this was real. I got hurt in the dream, and it actually... transferred into the real world." your fingertips ghost the patch on your side, and you grimace. "It sounds so stupid. I don't remember how I originally got the injury, but I remember it being reopened by..." you couldn't finish your sentence, but Hannibal, ever intuitive, could finish for you.

"Mr. Johnson. That is completely natural. You have just seen him commit a multi-homicide right before your eyes." he says in his even, smooth voice, and you nod your head. "And how did he reopen this wound of yours?"

"Yes, but... Brahms, too. Both of them, all at once. H-He... he pinned me... up against the wall." you say slowly, forcing each word out. You can't bring yourself to open up your eyes. "I guess the movement was too harsh, too sudden. It hurt. And then I pushed him off and it hurt even more."

"Injuries being transferred from a dreamlike state to the real world..." Hannibal said thoughtfully, "Could it be something similar to stigmata?" he asks, and you furrow your brows, finally letting your eyes flutter open. Hannibal senses your confusion and explains, "Stigmata is the slow appearance of wounds similar to that of a crucifixion. It has never been confirmed as legitimate, but there have been more than one occurrence of wounds in the hand and feet appearing on account of... thinking them into existence."

"Spontaneous stigmata?" you confirm, and shake your head. This was all so confusing.

"Well, dear," Hannibal continues, "Whatever may be the cause, I do recommend that you attempt to sleep once more. If you have any more of these nightmares, remember that you are in control of your dream. It is happening in your subconscious, and I'm sure if you realize that, then you will be able to... control it. Manipulate it." you suck in a breath, letting it out as you nod your head,