ocean eyes ➳ armin x mute!reader

The training field was unusually quiet today. No one was there doing their daily routine of sparring and warming up, not even an Eren Jaeger arguing with Jean Kirstein about who was the best at not killing one's self. The wind picked up its pace as the dust particles flew around, almost creating a small sand storm in the middle of the place. 

You sat by under an oak tree in the grassy fields near the training base, cross-legged with your eyes almost closing. It had been tiring for you the whole day since Keith Shadis requested you to clean the kitchen along with the mess hall. You were his "favorite student" after all much to your luck.

At least he never gives you hard tasks during training and gives you a lot of exceptions.

The sun was already setting near the horizon, its rays fading that was replaced by darkness to meet the blissful night. You admired the scenery before you as a smile graced your lips when you felt your stress being carried away by just watching the day ending. 

"[Y/N]!" A familiar voice shouted from the distance. You perked your head up to see your only friend, Armin Arlert, running towards you. 

You see, no one wants to talk to you there unless it's important or about training. Most of them grew tired of trying to communicate since, well, you're mute yet you can hear what everyone is saying. They didn't even bother learning sign language when Shadis told them to so they can talk to you. They either ignore you or just pretend you weren't there.

Except for Armin. 

He learned sign language ever since you two met, asking you questions through paper first on how to sign this or how to sign that. It made you happy seeing someone trying their best for you just so they can be your friend. Armin was the only person who've seen you through your best and worst without any judgement involved. He's there for you, and you're also there for him.

"Hello." You cheerfully signed with a smile and eyes scrunching up. He sat beside you whilst carrying a book. You really love this moment where Armin would tell you your favorite tales he read, listening intently on how the words would slip out of his tongue along with the expression he makes every after reading. 

"I brought your favorite book!" He lifted the said object to your face, beaming. "See? I'll read it to you, okay?"

You nodded, excited and ecstatic. "Sure. Thank you."

Armin began to read the book slowly while glancing at you from time to time with a smile, eyes scanning the pages carefully to avoid any mispronunciation and wrong grammars. You listened to him as he flipped from page to page, amazed by how the story went and thought of how it would end with the thrill exciting you. 

The story ended with a happy ending; the people in the story making it to their desired destination after all the struggles they encountered without giving up. You clapped your hands softly and smiled at your friend again, him smiling also.

"The story was great. Thank you again." You signed.

"You're welcome. I wish that ending would happen to us, too." Armin said with a sad sigh. "Hey, [Y/N]?"

"Yes?"

"Do you think there really is an ocean out there beyond the walls?" Armin asked, eyes gazing above the nearly dark skies.

You placed your hand on his, softly squeezing it. Armin squeaked as he looked at you, blushing a little at your small gesture. You just gave him a reassuring smile that told him the ocean awaits for him on the other side. And that was all Armin needed. 

"I'm happy to have you as my friend, [Y/N]. You always make my day better even if everything feels like hell." He said as he squeezed your hand back. You put your hand on his shoulder, sighing contently as he also placed his head on yours. "You know, I don't really care if you're mute or not. You're perfect."

You blushed deeply. "I'm not, but thank you."

"And you always say 'thank you' to pretty much everything." He laughed, making you smile wider. "I wish everyone can see that."

"Me, too." You signed sadly.

"Armin? [Y/N]?" A voice called near you. The two of you simultaneously looked up to see Eren with Mikasa. "Mind if we join?"

"Oh, sure thing!" Armin exclaimed as Eren and Mikasa sat down right next to us.

"[Y/N], we haven't really talked, have we?" Eren sheepishly asked, looking at you. You shook your head. "Well, you already know our names so maybe we can be friends?" Your eyes widened at Eren's statement. You glanced at Armin who was nodding at you to accept it. 

"Sure. I would love that." You signed, but then stopped when you realized that they couldn't understand sign language.

"That's great!" Eren said, smiling again. "I already learned sign language along with Mikasa."

Mikasa nodded. "You always seemed to be by yourself. We want to e friends with you."

You held both of your index fingers and hooked it in a C-shape together. "Friends." 

The three of them grinned from ear to ear as you all started to talk about different things that amused you. It started to get dark, so you and your friends decided to go back to the mess hall for dinner. Mikasa seemed to be fond of you especially when the two of you started to talk in sing language really fast, making Armin and Eren confused all the way. Eren, on the other hand, was also happy that he became friends with you. It had always been his goal to talk to you ever since they signed up for Training Corps.

What was flattering was the fact that they did want to be your friend not out of pity, but because they really want to. 

You made eye contact with Armin before coming inside the barracks, pecking his cheek with a blush. Armin was startled at first, but gave you a nervous grin and did the same thing to you; kissing your cheek and forehead. You placed the fingers of your dominant hand to your mouth and softly moved it forward in Armin's direction, smiling again that gave off a vibrant mood in the surroundings before hugging him tightly.