Chapter 3 "Republic City"

How could I have already lost Korra within the first five minutes of being here? I had thought it would of at least been ten minutes.

I walked around and let out a sigh as I looked for Korra. After awhile I stopped to see someone standing in front of a poster and yelling.

"Are you tired of living under the tyranny of benders? Then join the Equalists! For too long, the bending elite of this city! Thy have forced nonbenders to live as lower class citizens. Join Amon, and together we will tear down the bending establishment." The man yelled.

"Who is this Amon?" I asked a woman.

"The greatest man alive. He stands up for us non benders." She said with a smile.

"Sounds like my type of guy." I said softly.

"You should come to his next meeting. It's in a few minutes." She said softly.

"I really couldn't-"

"Come! You won't regret it." She said with a smile as she took my hands.

"Alright... I guess I have time, and who knows... maybe my friend is there." I said before she dragged me behind her.

I was dragged to an abandon warehouse and I let out a sigh as I stood in a group of people.

"Please welcome your hero, your savior ... Amon!" A man yelled.

Soon a man walked onto the stage and I heard thousands cheer.

"My quest for equality began many years ago. When I was a boy, my family and I lived on a small farm. We weren't rich, and none of us were benders. This made us very easy targets for the firebender who extorted my father." He said as he walked around the stage.

He continued to talk and after awhile he stopped and turned. I felt his eyes land on me and I held my breath.

"You, girl... come to the stage." He said as he pointed to me.

"Go." The woman I came with whispered.

I walked to the stage and Amon held his hand out.

"Fear not, I shall not hurt you, you are among friends." He said softly.

I gently took his hand and he pulled me up onto the stage.

"Tell me do you know any benders?" He asked as he let go of my hand.

"I.. my brother and sister." I said softly.

"Let me guess, your parents love them more?" He asked softly.

I looked away and he let out a sigh.

"You see what bending does! It changed families! Breaks them apart. Bending can only destroy!"

"No.. it.. not all benders are bad. The avatar-"

"Hasn't been seen for nearly twelve years. No one even knows what she looks like. From what I know she hides while we all suffer."

"That isn't her choice! Korra is-"

"So you know the avatar?"

"Yes! I do! She is my best friend! I trust her with my life!"

"But does she trust you? A non bender?" He asked as he met my eyes.

Even through his mask I could see his eyes, they were stern and had a little bit of sadness in them. I could tell he was trying his hardest to get me to see his reasoning, but I wouldn't... I couldn't.

"I...."

"Would she lay down her life in the hopes you would protect her? Or would she think you are weak because you can't move water or earth?"

I didn't ask why he didn't bring up fire, and I said nothing back, knowing all to well nothing I say would get to him, and sadly a part of me knew he was right.

I looked away and he nodded his head.

"As I thought." He said calmly.

I quickly turned and climbed off of the stage and walked out of the building. I let out a sigh as I leaned against the outside and covered my face.

"It is not wrong to have these thoughts." A voice said.

I quickly turned around and saw Amon looking at me.

"You're wrong, not all benders are like that... they aren't all evil." I said softly.

"All those I have met are."

"You haven't met Korra, or my Great Aunt... you haven't even met Tenzin and his family! How can you curse all benders when you haven't even been in their shoes?" I asked as I looked up at him.

"How can you not? From what I see you have been in their shoes... tell me.. have you ever not wondered what your life would of been like, had neither of your siblings been benders?"

"I..."

"I bet you secretly wish they were like you, just so you wouldn't be alone." He said as he walked up to me and stopped in front of me.

I quickly looked away from him and he let out a chuckle. I felt a hand on my cheek and I was forced to look up into his eyes. He tilted his head and moved his hands away from my face.

"You aren't alone, you have brothers and sisters... through that door.. and we will wait as long as we must." He said before he turned and walked back inside.

I let out a sigh and looked at the door once more before turning and walking away. I made my way to the air temple and let out a sigh as I made it inside.

"Akari!" A voice yelled.

"Meelo!" I exclaimed as he ran and tackled me in a hug.

I fell to the ground and let out a laugh.

"Are you staying?" He asked as he pulled away.

"Hopefully." I said as I stood up.

I smiled down at him and watched as he ran inside yelling that I was here.

"You're wrong... you have to be wrong." I thought as I followed Meelo inside.