Chapter 11 "A Choice"

It had been awhile since Amon had given me my next job, and I had been going and attacking as many stores as I could. Leaving notes and making speeches that benders would take over Republic city. I said whatever I could to get more Equalists for Amon.

I turned my radio on and let out a sigh as I tied my boots.

"Good morning, citizens of Republic City. This is Amon. I hope you all enjoyed last night's pro-bending match, because it will be the last. It's time for this city to stop worshiping bending athletes as if they were heroes. I am calling on the council to shut down the bending arena and cancel the finals, or else there will be severe consequences."

I let out a groan and stood up and made my way to the council. I walked inside and saw Korra talking to them. She turned and upon seeing me glared at me.

"Akari, I'm surprised to see you here." Tenzin said softly.

"I came to see how you were voting." I said as I looked at the council.

"We are closing the arena." Tarrlok said calmly.

"You can't!" Bolin yelled.

"I-I don't understand. I thought you, of all people, would take a stand against Amon." Korra said as she looked at Tarrlok shocked.

"While I am still committed to bringing that lunatic to justice, I will not put innocent lives at stake just so you and your friends can play a game."

"Pro-bending might only be a game to you, but think of what it means to the city! Right now the arena is the one place where benders and nonbenders gather together ... in-in peace! To watch benders ..."

"Beat each other up! In peace! It's an inspiration to everyone!" Bolin exclaimed cutting Mako off.

"I appreciate your naive idealism, but you're ignoring the reality of the situation." Tarrlok said with a frown.

"The reality is if you close the arena, you let Amon win!" Korra snapped.

"Yes, exactly what she said! Yes!" Bolin exclaimed.

"I'm sorry, but our decision has been made. This meeting is adjourned." Tarrlok said as he picked up the gavel.

Lin grabbed his gavel and soon said she was going to protect the arena. I shook my head and left the building, leaving them to their business.

"Some help you were." Korra said as she walked u too me.

"Why help, when I don't agree with it." I said as I shrugged my shoulder.

"You're nothing but a traitor! I thought you would side with us!" Korra yelled as she glared at me.

"Me? I'm a traitor? You don't know anything!" I snapped as I glared at her.

"Yes you are! You abandoned me because you're a non bender and I'm trying to protector benders! You're just as bad as Amon!"

I felt anger boil up inside of me and I clinched my hands into a fist. I felt the air shift around me and I glared at her. Tenzin came out and got between us.

"Enough Korra. Akari, I'm sorry." Tenzin said softly.

"Don't bother." I said as I turned and walked away.

I made it to my apartment and plopped down on my bed.

"Someone has had an eventful day." A voice said.

I turned to see Amon and glared at him.

"Go away."

"You haven't did what I asked."

"Don't worry, I will. I just want to wait until the tournament." I said softly.

I felt him place something around my neck and I froze as I felt metal. I heard a click and felt a key be pulled out.

"What is this?" I asked as I touched the metal band.

He pulled out a switch and hit it. I felt electricity course through me and let out a scream as I hit the ground. I tried to tear the necklace off but couldn't.

"It's metal, you can't tear it off if you tried. It's a gift from Future Industries." He said with a smile as he switched it off.

"Why are you doing this?"

"So I know what you are doing? This little device also allows me to listen to all of your conversations." He said with a chuckle.

I glared at him and he crouched down.

"Don't worry, our deal is still intact." He said as he grabbed my face and forced me to look at him.

I glared at him and he removed his mask.

"When all of this is over, you will no longer be a bender and together you and I will make a world for ourselves." He said as he gently touched my face.

"I will never be yours." I growled out through gritting teeth.

"But you already are." He said as he leaned down and connected our lips.

I tried to pull away, but he kept me in place. He pulled away and I moved my face away from him.

"You will see that all of this... is for us." He said as he let go of me.

He stood up and I felt tears stream down my face as he left the apartment, leaving me alone.