Chapter 12 "Missing Avatar and Broken Friendships"

I felt my heart stop when I heard that Korra had been kidnapped. I quickly walked through the warehouse and glared at Amon, who was talking to his lieutenant. He looked over at me and then back at him.

"Leave us." He ordered.

His Lieutenant bowed his head and left the room.

"Where is she?" I asked as I slammed him against the wall.

"I don't know."

"Cut the bull crap! If you hurt her, I'll-"

"You'll what? Kill me? You don't have the stomach for it... and if I did have her then you would never find her again."

"Then who has her?" I asked as I let go of him.

"Your guess is as good as mine." He said with a sigh.

I looked at the ground and shook my head.

"I have to find her." I said as I turned to leave.

"No, you have a job to do. I will find her."

"But-"

"No buts, attack the air temple. Make sure someone sees your face, and then return to me." He ordered.

"Fine, but if you hurt Korra... or anyone else. Our deal is off." I said as I turned and walked away.

I felt a sharp pain and fell to the ground with a gasp. I heard Amin's footsteps and he crouched down.

"Never threaten me again." He said before standing up and leaving.

The pain stopped and tears streamed down my face as I held my neck.

I waited a two days before making my move.

The whole walk to the boat I kept questioning all of my choices. I kept wondering if I could of stopped all of this. If I could of protected Korra more, if I could of stopped Amon before anyone could of lost their bending. I wondered what would happen after this was over, would I be alive? Would Korra and the others forgive me? Or would I lose the only friends I have ever had.

I soon landed on the island and saw Jinora and the kids playing. I felt a single tear stream down my face as I slipped my mask on and hid. I watched them for awhile, and then I moved to attack some guards. I trapped them in the ground and then threw some into the water.

"Stop right there!" A voice ordered.

I turned and saw Pema with a broom, and my heart ached.

"You think that broom will stop me?" I asked as I looked at her.

Her eyes went wide and she lowered the broom.

"Akari?" She asked softly.

I froze at the gentleness in her voice and I felt like my heart had shattered. She backed away and then stopped and met my eyes. I let out a sigh and removed my mask.

"Surprise." I said as I dropped the mask.

"Why? Why would you attack us? And when did you become an airbender?" She asked in shock.

"Since birth, and maybe because I want to hurt all of you? To make you feel what I've felt for years... the pain... the anger. Do you know what I felt when I pretended to be a non bender? Do you know the regret I have for hiding who I am! And to think you all pushed me away!"

"We didn't push you away, you pushed us away."

"Really? Because seems my mother didn't want me in her life? Tenzin either... he only cares about sweet Korra! Well guess what! Korra is a nobody! And when Amon is done, you will all see what I went through... you will learn the pain I have had to endure to make you all happy!" I yelled.

"Akari... you might say those words, but you don't mean them... I can see it in your eyes... sweetheart, talk to me." Pema said as she walked towards me.

I backed away, but stopped when I heard running. I quickly jumped out of the window and landed on the ground. I looked up in time to see Tenzin with Lin, Bolin, Mako, Korra, and another girl.

"Akari?" Bolin asked shocked.

I stood up and dusted myself off.

"You're an airbender." Lin said softly.

"Lucky me." I said with a frown.

"Why didn't you tell me?" She asked as she looked at me.

"Why would I? Would it of made you love me? Would it of made you actually want to raise me? No it would of just not given you a reason to not be in my life.. you never loved me... always your job.. I mean you wanted to use me as bait!" I yelled as I glared at her.

I took a stance and Lin quickly took her own stance.

"Wait! Akari, we are your family, look I know Lin hasn't been the best mother, but this isn't you." Tenzin said as he met my eyes.

"We are not family, and you don't know me. Non of you ever knew me." I said as I shot air at him.

With each attack, I slowly felt my heart shatter piece by piece.

"Stop! Everyone stop!" A voice yelled.

I saw Pema come out and I quickly stopped shooting air at them. Pema looked at me and I saw a look of sadness on her face. She walked towards me and i made air swish around my body.

"You won't hurt me." She said as she kept walking.

"You know nothing." I growled out.

"I know you don't want this... I can see it in your eyes." She whispered.

I kept the air in front of me and it got closer to me with each step she took. I soon dropped the air shield and she gently touched my face.

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

"Akari, you're safe." She whispered.

"I'm never safe." I said as she whipped my tears away.

I closed my eyes and waited for the pain to start.

"Amon... he's a-"

I was cut off by a wave of pain coursing through me. I let out a scream and hit the ground. Pema looked at me shocked and then she looked at Tenzin. I watched as he ran up with Lin and the others.

"Collar... collar!" I gasped out.

Lin saw it and quickly medalbended it off of me. I felt a strong burst of electricity course through me and before I knew it I was out cold. The last thing I saw before I passed out was Korra looking at me with tear felled eyes.