Chapter 11 - A Change Of Plans

A few weeks later, the doctor advised that Maria was pregnant with twins and asked if they wanted to know the sex of the babies. Willie and Maria simultaneously said no. However, Auntie G said yes and a skirmish raged on for weeks until Maria won. The twins came two weeks early, the night before Maria and Willie’s first wedding anniversary. Everyone was ecstatic and agreed that this was the best anniversary present ever.

The first baby to be born was a little boy with a “birth” mark on his back. He weighed in at 4 pounds 11 ounces. The doctor checked him over and gave him to the nurse. Twenty minutes later, a second boy was born. He weighed in at 4 pounds 15 ounces and cried loudly as the doctor examined him. When the family came in to see Maria and the twins, Aunt Edith was the first to notice the boys were identical twins.

Willie looked at Maria and asked, “Should we name them Fred and Ted?” Maria, exhausted from the delivery, smiled and nodded her head in agreement. Aunt Edith said, “Freddie and Teddy, I love it! But, which one is Freddie and which one is Teddy?” Everyone looked at Willie for an answer but it was Grandpa Alfie who suggested that the one with the mark on his back be named Freddie.

The christening was held at the Doolpers as soon as Maria was well enough to move around comfortably. The priest who performed the wedding was asked to officiate at the christening. All the family members attended and the proud grandparents were affable hosts. It was most surprising when Aunt Edith stumbled with a tray of drinks and fell on the priest. She later disclosed that it might have been because she had a few drinks with Auntie G in the kitchen.

At the end of her pregnancy leave Maria took an extra year off from school to spend some time with her sons. The boys grew strong quickly and enjoyed the outdoors. Maria and Willie had a tough time telling them apart especially when they were dressed in the same color clothes. They thought of buying different clothes but decided against it because the boys looked so adorable together.

In quiet desperation, Maria attached a safety pin to Freddie’s shirt collar to help her identify the boys. It worked like a charm so she shared the secret with Willie and the adults on both sides of the family. It failed for the first time when the boys went to the beach and accidentally exchanged shirts.

When the boys finally discovered the reason for the safety pin on Freddie’s shirt they started playing games by switching shirts. It took a while for them to realize that it was easier for them to move the pin to Teddy’s shirt. They mastered this and used it quite effectively during dinner when their grandparents came to visit.

They politely excused themselves after dinner and went out to play while their parents cleared the table to serve dessert. Teddy moved the pin to his shirt and intentionally exchanged seats with Freddie when they came back to the table for dessert.

Grandpa Alfie fell into their little trap when he looked at Teddy, with the pin on his shirt and said, “Tell me Freddie, what is your favorite dessert!” Freddie, sitting across the table in Teddy’s seat replied, “Chocolate ice cream of course! You know how much I love chocolate ice cream.” Willie looked at Freddie and said, “Wait your turn Teddy, Grandpa is asking Freddie.”

Teddy said, “He answered because he is Freddie and I’m Teddy.” Before anyone could do anything they ran into the kitchen and returned with the pin still on Teddy’s shirt. They switched seats again. Grandpa Alfie looked directly at Freddie and said, “Now Teddy, what is your favorite dessert!” When Teddy answered from across the table, Maria said, “No more boys, this behavior could directly affect your dessert.”

After dessert, the boys went out to play again and the adults agreed that it was time for them to find another “secret solution” for the identity problem. Willie suggested different haircuts but Maria did not like that idea. After coffee, Willie’s parents said it was time for them to leave for home and promised to call if they came up with a solution.