Recruitment 5

"F"

"If I'm gonna pick a letter to describe him, I'll pick F"

"He's Fantastic"
"He passed"

"Who is he anyway?"
"He looks like he's been pampered all his life but inside him is a hidden blade waiting to be unsheathed"

"He's the prince of Avalon, little brother of the Queen" Sian replied to his question.

"WHAT?!"

Surprised, the student went back to the ring and give the prince a hand. He apologized for his over actions, saying it wasn't that necessary.

Other than the prince and some individuals, the others were just nobodies. The recruitment continued until nightfall. The recruits have it hard, taking part in test at night in these cold weather. Cold breezes back and fort in their thick clothes. Some went back for tomorrow but the other at the front couldn't wait any longer.

Nothing much worth noticing happened.

(Day 3)

The recruitment continued. Towns people sent their young generation to take part in the test. Schools from around the kingdom sent promising people. Clans around the kingdom also sent people today. 

__________6:00 PM______________________

Only a dozen left to be tested. "I don't expect much from these people" Sian said and gathered all the officers.

Sian: Officers follow me...

He let the instructors handle the remaining recruits and led a team of officers in the forest. All of them are fully geared and ready for combat. 

"General, you noticed it too?" An officer asked...

"Yes. Despite my looks, I'm really curious about everything in this world" Sian replied. His men didn't utter another word, they just silently obey what order is given. The sun has already gone, snow drops faster than yesterday , and the wind blows colder than ever. Sian and his men of officers entered a dark forest, lingering in the trees' branches lies dark figures shaped like humans. 

"We're not here cause trouble, we're here to talk" Sian said using his poker mask acting like the trustworthy man. 

"Order your soldiers to stop pointing their weapons at our heads" A man in the dark said.

Despite going alone with only officers, soldiers back at the camp had been watching in the dark using scopes from their rifles. With only a hand gesture command, the soldiers will shoot any beings other than their own in the forests. 

(Sian raise a hand)

"WHat are You DOING?!" It alerted the people in the dark. They were shivering, their flow of breath accompanied with fear, and unsheathing their hidden blades.

"Don't worry, I have ordered them to drop their weapons just as you've said so" 

In the tall trees, the people in the dark jump from their branches to the ground. Just as they slowly approach Sian, they saw a pair of ears at their heads.

"Ears?" An officer questioned himself.

"Yeah, they're beastkin" Sian clear the officers confusion. 
"And a lot of them at that"

"We're beastkin, I have a proposal"

"What is it? Sian asked. The leader of the beastkin told Sian all the information he has. He told them all....

The beast kin are rebels. But that's not entirely the truth. Since the people of Avalon discriminate against Beast people, the previous king didn't have a choice but to give them the whole forest beside the kingdom. The king told the people that the forest is Holy and guarded by divine beings to stop people from entering. They were called rebels because they usually disrupt with political and military affairs, but that's not the truth. They were the forces who fought back against enemy invasion before even arriving at the battle field. They were the forces who maintained the kingdom's title as the 10th Greatest Kingdoms in the land. They were the forces who helped suffering soldiers of Avalon in the previous wars. The people can't see that, they only see what's inside the walls, not the outside. Even beastkin adventurers get discriminated despite doing good deeds.

"Human nature (sigh)" Sian said
"So you want the young generation to be part in the army?"

Beast "Yes, they don't have the will nor reason to fight for a kingdom that doesn't want them"
 "But we have, I won't drag them down"
"Please let them try....Including our young girls"

(Hmmmm...) "They're  being sincere" Sian thought reading their minds, heartbeats, and inner selves.

"There's not much to think, come on out we'll test you" Sian said with bright smile on his face, warming the beast kin in this cold weather.
"This is the last day, the only day you could change your fate"

The young generation stepped right up in the presence of Sian. Sian turned back to the camp for their test. The other old men and women cried saying goodbyes, swaying their hands, and didn't follow their children. "What are you doing?" Sian asked why they don't follow them.

"We're a sore eyes in the eyes of many in this land" Said'

"Follow us, it's good to see your children climbing up the ladder what you were suppose to climb" 
(Smiled) "Your all my guest tonight's camp, if there's anyone who make a move on you, I'll take care of them"

Everyone followed them and proceeded to testing the recruits. There were children and  men and women in their 20's.

Unbelievable, each on of them are good and expendable. One after another win, the beast kin's win streak didn't go down. It didn't matter if they're young or older in the early 20's. 

(Obstacle course)

Pass!
            Pass!

Past!

The instructors couldn't even yell a word, they just said what they were supposed to do.

"Jump"

"Climb"

"Crawl"

It seems, the children have finished observing the others' testing. They were not up to the pull up bars, but just hanging their for a dozen of minutes is already excellent. Most of them showed great efforts in this test for the future of their lives. I mean, who would fight for the jerks in Avalon. They're thinking "It's not worth it". Dying for them "It's not worth it!". Sacrificing their youths "It's not worth it!". Even in the fighting ring, although most lost, their eyes and dedication were sharper than that of the prince. A rare kind of blood lust for this youngsters.

An officer got surprised of the outcome. "Children born in the battlefield are different indeed."

52 recruits passed they were given different color ID card with a sling for all of them to wear. A great count of numbers of the first kingdom visited. Sian offered everyone to eat and congratulate the outcome. 

They happily agreed and made toast.

Didn't realized they have been seen.

The general of Avalon with a couple of soldiers in his back went to Sian camp under the order of the queen. Surprised, the general dropped accidentally his night spear. While the other clench their teeth and tightened their grips.

And a bad atmosphere arose...

.

...

.....

.......

.............

...............

....................

What so you think would happen in the next chapters?

Writer's note:

Hi friends,

I've been bored lately so I read some manhwa. Until I read a comment from 2 days ago yesterday. (He/She)nicknamed Shiv Amazing wrote that he's attached to this story, and I appreciate it. So I updated 3 chapters today. A single comment can change a person, so write carefully.