Chapter 15 - Identities

Kara was lying on her bed feeling miserable and bad for herself when she heard a knock on the door. She x-ray visioned the door and saw James with three boxes of pizza. Kara smiled and walked to the door.

"Hey James." Kara said.

"Thought we could celebrate to you saving the plane." James said.

"Thanks," Kara said, helping James with the box of pizza.

"So what was it like? Saving thousands of people on your own?" James asked.

"Firstly, it was great, secondly, I wasn't on my own." Kara said.

"What do you mean?" James asked, intrigued, "all the eyewitnesses say you are the one that saved them."

"No, the speedy lightning man was there. He told me what to do and practically did almost all the work, he actually shared some super-speed with me. It felt great, like I had all the time in the world. He said he was too tired to save the plane on his own, and he talked me through saving it." Kara said.

"But that still doesn't explain how nobody saw him on the plane." James said.

"He said something about vibrating at a frequency so fast that only my kryptonian eyes could see him." Kara told James.

"And what was he like?" James asked.

"I didn't really get to know him, because we were busy saving the lives of thousand of people." Kara joked, "But I could see in his eyes that he had experienced loss. Probably more than me. He also seemed exhausted. Who wouldn't be? The television reporter said they estimated he had gone without at least a hundred hours with sleep."

"Did you x-ray vision to find his identity?" James asked.

"I tried. His mask was made of something he called pure speed-force energy. I couldn't see through it, but I think I know who he is." Kara said.

"Who?" James asked.

"Barry. Barry Allen." Kara said, "Something in his eyes. Both the lightning man and Barry have that pain in their eyes."

"But thousands of people have felt that kind of pain." James reasoned.

"No, this was on another level. I think I've known loss, but I was young. Yes it was painful, but I already forgot a lot about my home already. I was 7. I had Alex and Eliza and Jeremiah when I came to this Earth. I had amazing powers. I think Barry lost his whole world and more. In a picture on his desk, there was a group of people with him. When Barry talked about one of them, Iris, he said her name was, his eyes were filled with pain. I think Barry was in love with Iris and she died." Kara said.

"Okay, but then how his this lightning man running around while Barry is at work?" James asked. "And why would Barry say negative things about the lightning man. He straight up insulted the lightning man's suit."

"I don't know James. But we need to find out. Not because I want to reveal his identity to the world. I want him to train me. He obviously has experience. More than my cousin. If my cousin trained me I would always be seen as a sidekick, not if this lightning man does though." Kara said.

"Sure, I'll follow Barry around for a couple of days, see if I can dig anything up." James said.

"Thanks. Are we going to talk about what happened?" Kara asked.

"Oh, that. I like you too Kara. Kara Zor-El, my alien superhero girlfriend!" James joked.

"I-I-I'm your girlfriend." Kara said to herself.

"Yep, and I'm your boyfriend." James said, kissing Kara before saying he should get going.

"Bye James."

Meanwhile, at Barry's apartment, Barry was wondering where he recognised the person that helped him save the plane from.

Then he remembered Kara Danvers, Ms Grant's assistant. She used the same trick as Clark did. The whole clumsy and mild-mannered act was something that worked like a charm. Barry chuckled to himself, and realised that he would need more proof to come to a conclusion. 

Barry had a plan.