Chapter 27 - Life without her

It had been weeks since Supergirl sacrificed herself, saving billions of people. While Supergirl was nowhere to be seen, Kara was still showing up to work at CatCo. 

At first Winn and James were surprised, but they soon learned it was actually Barry trying to keep Kara's identity a secret. If Kara disappeared right when Supergirl did, people would definitely put two and two together and figure out who Kara really was.

James wondered how Barry was able to do this, as he didn't know about his powers, but Winn and Barry said it was a robot that they had been working on for a while.

While Barry said the 'robot' was to protect those close to her, but in reality, Barry had a different motive. He wanted Kara's life to be normal if she ever did get better and return to normal.

As Barry ran back to his apartment he thought about what happened, for the millionth time.

Flashback:

As Kara fell from the sky, Barry felt completely helpless. Again, he wasn't able to help someone he cared about. Barry quickly began swinging his arms to create a wind blast to slow Kara's descent, so if there was even a chance of her survival, she wouldn't die from impact to the ground.

Then Barry put his head close to hers, listening for her breath, but there was none. He put his hand against her heart to feel her beating heart, but instead he felt nothing. Just a cold body, dead, in his arms.

Tears began to stream down Barry's eyes as Oliver ran to his side. The rest of the JSA also began to approach, but Oliver motioned for them to go away. Now wasn't the time.

"Barry..." Oliver began, trying to find the right words.

"Oliver she didn't deserve to die. She was a good person. Better than all of us. Her heart was stronger than everyone else in the multiverse's. Both literally and figuratively. It should've been me." Barry said while crying.

Superman flew straight down from the sky with his arms extended, before landing, leaving a crater in the ground. He immediately regretted everything. He should have taken her in and raised her. he shouldn't have given her to the Danver's because of his selfish needs of being Superman and Clark Kent.

Family should have come first, before anything else. That's how it was on Krypton, and how it should be everywhere else. 

Superman took in what he saw, trying to process everything. Barry was on his knees with a dead Kara laying motionless in his arms.

Kara was dead.

The last blood relative he had from Krypton, gone. Now nobody could tell him stories about his home. Stories about his parents. 

"Barry, we need to take her back to our Earth." He said softly, but Barry did not respond. Barry was transfixed on the lifeless body in his arms. Barry refused to believe this was it.

"Barry we need to go back!" Clark said a bit louder, getting the attention of Barry.

"F-fine, l-lets go. Can you carry her while I create a breach?" Barry asked.

"Yes. Hurry, maybe she can be saved with the equipment at the DEO." Clark said.

Barry began running in circles, creating a gassy blue portal that he jumped into with Superman. They then quickly went to the DEO, to take Kara into the med-bay where she could possibly be saved if things went well.

Things didn't go well.

After a few minutes, a DEO medical officer came to Barry and Clark with bad news. News they knew was coming but refused to accept.

"She died before you brought her here. If we had her here right after the overload of yellow sun radiation, there would have been a chance, but you didn't bring her here quick enough" The doctor said.

'You didn't bring her here quick enough.'

'You didn't bring her her quick enough'

The words played over and over in Barry's head. He could have saved her, just like he could have saved everyone else he cared for that died. But he didn't. He wasn't good enough.

"We will give her the kryptonian death rites, Kara described them enough, and Kelex can tell me the rest. Meet me at the fortress of solitude with her body." Clark said emotionlessly. 

At the fortress, Clark's family, along with the Danvers and Winn were waiting. James for some reason said he couldn't make it, and Barry was pissed to say the least.

What could be more important thanks girlfriend's funeral?

Clark's daughter, Ella performed the rites, as she was the only living female blood relative Kara had left.

Now Kara would go to 'Rao's light,' the heaven that Kryptonan's believed in. 

No. Kara wasn't going to be buried. Something told Barry that she could still be saved. What would he do otherwise? Run away to another Earth again?

Barry began moving at super-speed.

First he tried creating a speed-force construct, but it didn't work for some reason.

Instead, he created a wax figure of Kara and placed it in the capsule in which Kara was to be buried in. He took the real, lifeless Kara, and ran her to his apartment where he quickly set up medical support for Kara.

Barry used a speed-mirage to make it seem as if he was still at the funeral, but he was setting everything up in the hopes of keeping Kara alive. Barry's courses that he took for fun in medical sciences were finally going to pay off.

-end of flashback-

Barry looked at the motionless Kara, maybe it was time to unplug her from all the equipment he had. Maybe it was time to turn off the red sun lamps that were trying to cancel out the excess energy in her cells.

Kara had been in Barry's guest room, which was now a mini hospital, for weeks, and she had shown absolutely no sign of recovery.

Was the 'something' that told him to not let Kara find peace in death wrong?

Was death really the worse thing that could happen to Kara after all the suffering she has endured?

Barry kissed Kara's forehead, before slowly walking away to unplug all the life support that seemed to be doing nothing.

Then he saw it.

Kara's brain seemed to be waking up, and her neural activity was slowly restoring.