Chapter 49 - Dark Matter

"Kara!" Barry shouted while running next to her.

"Barry! You got your speed back?" Kara asked.

"Yeah. There isn't time to explain. We need to create a vortex of speed much larger than this. If we don't absorb the energy, the whole world comes to an end." Barry said.

Just as Kara was about to respond, she, Clark, and Barry were hit with a stream of dark-matter.

"The excess energy is being directed towards us." Barry said, before noticing Kara and Clark were slowly becoming transparent.

"Your bodies can't take it!" Barry shouted.

"What choice do we have?" Kara asked.

More dark matter began to pour onto the three of them, but it seemed as if Barry was affected the least by all the dark matter.

"You need to slow down. It's going to kill you otherwise. I can take more dark matter than both of you." Barry said.

"You can't, Barry. Just know that I love you, and I always will. See you in Rao's light." Kara said.

'If a hero loves the world enough, he will save it.' Wonder Woman's words came rushing back to Barry.

"Kara, you are my world." Barry said, before speeding up as much as he could, absorbing all the dark matter from Kara and Clark.

Slowly, the dark matter being poured from the sky began to subside.

"Barry? Barry!" Kara called out.

"Come on Barry. Don't die." Clark said.

"Kara? I think I found something." Wonder Woman said.

"Barry's mask." Kara muttered, holding it in her trembling hands. "I-it doesn't mean anything. He could still be alive. Maybe when he was running it might have fallen off."

"Kara." Clark said, pointing at the rest of Barry's suit.

"No. Maybe the speed-force saved him." Kara said.

"The speed-force did not save him. Barry Allen is dead." Mar Novu said, popping out of nowhere.

"Who are you?" The green-lantern asked.

"A god. But you can call me the monitor." Mar Novu said, "Anyway, Mr. Allen defied all odds saving you. I had foreseen over 14 million possible futures to the crisis, and in not one did he save the two of you."

"If your a god, why can't you save him?" Kara asked.

"Even I have limits. The world moves forward in time, with a continuing motion such that not even a god such as myself can alter the motion of time without facing consequences." Mar Novu said.

"So why are you here?" Kara asked.

"To warn. The Reverse-flash is in what is left of the negative speed-force, healing. I do not believe he will be of trouble anytime soon, but know that he lives on." Mar Novu said.

"Great. So while Barry dies, the guy who started this all gets to live." Kars muttered.

"While you may not see it, today was a triumph of good over bad. I saw fourteen million, six hundred and five futures, and in none of them did you and Clark live." Mar Novu said.

"So what do we do now?" Clark asked.

"We need to move on. Move forward. I didn't know Barry much, but I know that he would want us, the Justice League, to move on as a team. To fight for the world Barry gave his life for." The green-lantern said.

---

The new speed-force

"Hello Barry." The speed-force said.

"Can you take me back?" Barry asked.

"No. The timelime would be too malleable. What we can do though, is give you the life that you deserve. No superhero and supervillain issues. Just a world where you can finally live a normal life." The speed-force said.

"Is there any way I can see Kara again?" Barry asked.

"There will be a Kara in this new life. Whether she becomes a love interest of yours, or someone else does, we don't know. But when you die in this life you will get to see your Kara again. In Rao's light, or heaven, or whatever you may call it." The speed-force said.