Welcome

*Y/N's POV*

      I woke up before my alarm today, which is odd for me. Oh well, I turn the alarm for today off and head to the kitchen to make myself a cup of tea to start the day. I head to my studio to stare at the portrait I had almost finished, I grab the supplies I need for the final touches, mix up the neutral shades for the details of the crowd. It relaxes me to paint like this, with no strict rules to follow, just my own creativity.

  Professor Ahn believes in my creative process and always adores my art work, she's my biggest supporter. Which means she never is as strict with rules with me as she is with everyone else. She only challenges me to go to greater heights with my work.

   I begin filling in the background in shades of dark grey and white to mimic the city covered in snow. Making sure to paint a few flakes swirling around the mystery man, and a few stuck in his hair and eyelashes. When I'm sure I'm done, I sign and date the corner and lay the piece to dry.

   Quickly checking my phone, I decide I should start getting my class materials ready, my first class of the day is Classic Literature, my second is Professor Ahn's Mixed Media Art class, she'll probably want to assess everyone's progress with their projects, collecting the ones that are done and assigning another project to whoever's complete.

   I pull out the binder full of my Classic Literature notes and assignments exchanging the binder for my Myths and Legends binder. I find a beat up travel mug and make myself a nice fresh green tea for the road. While the tea steeps I run around trying to find an outfit that's warm but also suitable for the public. I dig through one of my dresser drawers, hoping to find a specific pair of plain black jeans. When I finally find them I quickly change into them and hunt for one of my many sweaters. I decide to do my hair today, just to change it up from the usual waves I leave it in. I throw half of my hair into a sloppy bun, and leave the other half out, something to shield my ears and neck from the cold.

   I carefully put a cover on my painting, and tuck it away in my bag, excited with the outcome. I can't wait for Professor Ahn to see it, I think she'll love it too. Professor Ahn always loves my work, she thinks highly of my abilities as an artist and always encourages me. It's good to have a friend like Professor Ahn. As I gather all my things I can't help but think about the professor who has become like family to me, like the older sister I never had.

   Today feels colder than it has been in awhile, but I have my gloves to keep my fingers from falling off and earmuffs to keep my ears warm and a cup of hot tea rolling between my hands to keep me warm and awake.

   I feel the same feeling I felt yesterday all over again, the feeling that eyes are on me, the feeling of being watched. I shake it away, pushing the thought away as me just being paranoid. I drag my feet through the snow watching the pattern that my shoes crunch into the dirty sludge, if I'm being honest it matches the city perfectly.

     "Hey, Y/N!" I hear someone call out the voice is deep and familiar, it has to be Felix, "Let me catch up to you!"

   I turn to face my best friend, "Hmmm, I don't think I want to." I giggle and pretend to march forward, moving slow to give him a chance to catch up with me.

   Felix laughs and slips on a patch of ice, which makes laugh even harder, "Come on Y/N! Come save me! Your own personal damsel in distress."

   "Fine, I'll save you but what do I get out of it?"

   "Hmmm the feeling of satisfaction that you helped your best friend?"

   I can't help but laugh wildly, "That's not enough, but okay, we have to hurry we don't wanna be late to Professor Kim's lecture, he's low-key scary."

   I pull him up with both arms and he giggles softly, "Now let us be on our merry way to the hell we pay for!" He shouts, I can hear his voice echo and it makes me laugh a little.

  "Lix, you walk so slow," I whine at him and grab his hand to pull him along faster, "Lix it's cold."

  "Fine, I'll hurry up, I just wanted to annoy you," Felix pouts, snuggling his face further into the collar of his jacket, I can tell he's cold too.

   I leave my hand in his, feeling safer with someone next to me, even though the feeling of being watched seems to have intensified. I sigh as I see the university in view, glad that the warm building is so close.

   "U-uh, Y/N did you realize we're h-holding hands still?" Felix asks in a small voice, his eyes darting around campus, what's he so nervous for? We always hold hands?

   "I know, but we hold hands all the time so it's okay," I answer him normally, keeping my tone as neutral as possible, which is difficult I really wish I could tease him right now but something in the back of my head tells me it's not a good idea.

   He sighs in relief, "Yeah, you're right. Now let's get to Professor Kim's class. Did we have something to turn in today, cause I'm totally screwed if we did."

   I rack my brain trying to think about it, I always finish assignments class and since the last time our class met was last Friday I'd have it out of the way before my school day was even over. "We shouldn't have, I don't remember working on anything in Ahn's class for Kim's."

   He smiles at me, the dorky way he always does, "Then I'm safe from the professor for another day."

   Professor Kim greeted the class warmly, explaining the story he was covering today, The Aeneid by Virgil. I start wondering why all his students think he's genuinely intimidating, I'm like 90% sure it's all an act. I mean how could he be actually mean when he drinks coffee from a mug decorated with crabs and wears sweaters with dorky slogans on them. How could they say he's intimidating when he radiates a calming energy?

  "Care to explain what you're over there daydreaming about Ms. Lee?" Professor Kim interrupts my thinking, a dorky dimpled smile on his face, see he's not that bad.

   My face flushed bright pink, "Oh it's nothing, sir, I was just trying to recall if I'm familiar with the work or not. I believe I am though."

   He smile breaks even wider, "Then would you like to offer a summary in your words?"

   "Of course, The Aeneid is a Latin epic that follows Aeneas's journey in search of the land that is destined to become the Roman Empire. It's heavily influenced by Homer's Odyssey and Iliad. The story begins halfway through Aeneas's journey, where he stops in Carthage and he tells his story to Dido and her courtesans. I could go on, if you'd like?"

   "You are rather familiar with the story, but what is the most memorable line of the story?"

   I sigh, "'Fléctere si néqueo súperos Acheronta movebo', meaning 'If I cannot move heaven, I will raise Hell.'"

  "Very good Y/N, your parents must be proud of having such a genius as a daughter," Professor Kim beamed at me, excitement evident in his features. He's truly not an intimidating man.

   Before I even realize it, class is over, and I'm happily walking to Ahn's room my bag swinging on my back. I love sitting in her room, her room always smells like paint and fresh paper and ink.

    I make my way to my spot and set my belongings down, then go on the hunt for my paints and pastels. Professor Ahn isn't in right now but students are filling up her room, laughing and chattering to each other.

   "Ah, Y/N! How are you?" calls out a sweet voice, I look up to see Seungmin, one of Felix's friends.

  "Hi Seungmin, I'm good, how are you?"

   He smiles and pulls at my canvas bag, "I'm great but do you have like snacks or something, I'm a little hungry."

   I pull the handles of the bag gently away from him, "I don't think I have any snacks, have you asked Hyunjin?"

   He nods his head, "Can I see your project?" His voice is genuine, I consider Seungmin a friend of mine too, we're just not quite as close as Felix and him.

   I pull out a bag of chips I must've thrown in the bag this morning and throw them at Seungmin, and pull the canvas out from the bag. I take the cover off of the portrait I painted, "Here Min, look as long as you like"

   He gawks at the painting in awe, his jaw slack and his eyebrows raised, "Y/N you've really outdone yourself this time. It's beautiful."

   Behind the easel comes a cough, Professor Ahn, "May I look as well, Y/N."

   "Of course, here," I say turning the easel towards Hyejin.

   Her eyes soften and he jaw slackens too, "You're talent always astounds me, Y/N."

   I feel myself blush at her compliments, and I thank her before turning towards my other work, a 3D project that I was putting off wrapped in old newspapers waiting for me to rework the design. But I can't push away the feeling that I'm being watched.

    Someone or something is watching my every move, and I'm feeling a little panicked. Maybe I should have Felix walk me all the way home tonight after work just so that I feel safe.

    I push the feeling away again and start on the project meddling with the shape of the ears perking them, and gently carving shapes to resemble fur on its sides. The clay begins to take shape of my childhood pet, a pretty little plump pug puppy.

    When class is dismissed I head towards work, my head down. Trying my hardest not to attract the attention of whoever has been watching me all day. I push through the side doors of the store and stuff my bags in my locker.

    As I'm buckling my work vest I hear the bells chime, meaning a customers in the store so I rush out behind the counter ready to greet them whenever they're all set, surprisingly Felix isn't here yet. He must be right behind, which is a little weird he's always here first.

     I spot the customer pacing one of the aisles, clearly looking for something specific. Maybe I should go help him. Before I can even move the divider, it seems like he's found what he's been looking for. So I take the liberties of checking him out. He's much taller than me, and he's lean but muscular. My eyes travel to his face, which looks like it's been sculpted by the gods. His jaw is angular and sharp, I catch the sight of plump pink lips, his cheekbones are high, his nose slopes elegantly, his dark hair falls elegantly in his face, and then I meet his eyes. I turn my head embarrassed that just a second ago I was shamelessly admiring this guys features.

   He only smiles fondly, "Like what you're seeing?" His voice, it's like velvet and rich fur, more than mildly intoxicating. Focus, Y/N, focus, he was talking to you.

   "You'd make an excellent model," is all I blurt out, stupid stupid stupid Y/N. I meet his eyes again to assess the damage I've done but that smile is still on his face.

   "I'll take that as a yes then, but I also have to say you're quite beautiful yourself," he says smoothly, dropping a sly wink at me.

    I feel my cheeks redden to an extreme, and I don't think I'll be able to talk without a stutter, I hear a locker shut in the staff room, thank god Felix is here.

   "Hey! Y/N what's up with you?" Felix asks innocently, oblivious to what just happened, typical Lix.

   I turn to him a smile on my face, "Oh nothing Lix, I just need to go and grab my water bottle, could you help this customer for me while I grab it?"

   Felix shrugs, "Sure why not, go, shoo."

    I rush to the staff room and buy a bottle of water from the vending machine and drink like half of it before cautiously standing at the door waiting to see if the customer is gone, I embarrassed myself in front of him not once, not twice, but three times. I can't risk that again.

   Felix comes to the door, "He's gone you can breathe normal again."

   I walk out to the register again and sigh, loudly.

   "So what was that all about, Miss-I'm-So-Flustered? Because all I saw was your little cherry cheeks and this god of a man in front of the counter and the god whispered something and I think he called you cute but I'm not sure."

   I giggle at him, "Dude, Felix, breathe." He looks at me expectantly and I started rambling, "Uhhh he came in and he looked like he needed help finding something and I almost helped him but then he found it and I was kinda staring at him and he caught me and I got embarrassed and I embarrassed myself three times in a row, four if you count making up that excuse."

   Felix just busts out in laughter, "God, Y/N you're so dumb. Still love ya tho."

   "You don't get to call me dumb, Mr. I Have A Huge Crush On A Dude But Can't Even Talk To Him."

   And we bickered through our whole shift, only stopping when the next shift employees came in complaining that we are always "too damn loud and annoying".

   I bid Felix goodnight, completely forgetting about asking him to walk home with me.

   Immediately I feel uneasy, I had only made it halfway home when I heard footsteps behind me, too close to just be a coincidence. Too close to just be someone just going to the same place as me, it was like they were following me. I picked up the pace and pulled my phone out to pretend to call Felix or Sujin or even Seungmin.

   Nobody picked up, I could feel the panic settling in. My heart rate steadily increasing, someone please help. I felt a little ease settle in as I approached the familiar building of my apartment complex.

   Whoever was following me pushed me against the side wall of the building, I could smell alcohol on his breath and feel how strong he is through his grip on my arm.

   "Come here, little kitten, wouldn't you like to have some fun," he whispered in my ear, his breath was hot on the side of my face, "You look absolutely scrumptious, did you know that? Those wide hips and your plump lips are just doing something special to me, wanna feel?" I feel him rub himself against me, and the worst part is I feel his erection, that means he's enjoying talking like this to me.

   "Oh come on, kitten, don't be shy," his hot breath was moving down my neck and I try pushing at him but he's too strong, he wouldn't budge.

  I have an idea, the streets were pretty bare but that doesn't mean nobody could hear me if I screamed, maybe one of the few people out could save me. So I scream, "Help! Someone! Please! This mans attacking me! Anyone!" My voice cracks with the last word.

   I can feel hot tears down my cheeks as the man trails his hands further down my body, "Aww, kitten thinks someone will come save her? How cute." I can't even open my eyes anymore, and I stop wasting my energy as I feel him open my coat and ruck up my sweater.

   Before his hands can roam anywhere else I feel this vile stranger ripped off me and then a loud crash, like he had been thrown into trash cans. Instead of the disgusting drunkard who had been feeling me up, the only person I see in front of me is the boy from the convenience store earlier, the one sculpted by the gods. But where his eyes had been a lovely dark brown, now they're replaced by a deep blood red.

   He smiles as he zips my coat back up for me, "I'll be right back, don't move." And whether it's the tone of his voice or the shock of what just happened, I stay as still as I can.

   I watch intently as the boy from earlier picks up the drunkard by his throat and chucks him back into the same row of trash bins he had just been plucked from.

    "Well, that was fun. I'm Seonghwa by the way, it's nice to make your acquaintance," he says very formally and very cautiously, "Your name would be?" He really does have a sweet smile, and the way the soft snow is falling around him makes my hands itch for my drawing pencils.

   "Y/N, Lee Y/N."

   He smiles at me, "Now I'd hate to make you upset or freak you out when you're already in a state like this, but you have to come with me. You've seen too much tonight."

   "Well, I really don't know how much worse tonight can get so, it's whatever," I say trying to keep any sign of weakness out of my voice, I can't cry in front of him.

   Seonghwa grabs hold of my hand softly, and pulls me along with him, "I really wish I didn't have to pull you away from your life but, c'mon, hop in." He gestures to the car as he steps in, "You'll catch a cold."

     Surprisingly I just nod and duck into the car as well, I buckle up and set my bags down in front of me before resting my head against the headrest. Tonight is going to be a sleepless night for me.

   "Thank you, Seonghwa ," I say quietly, hoping he can still hear me.

   As he drives I feel my eyes shut and everything's dark and peaceful.
   I'm only half awake when he pulls into a long driveway and I can imagine the ghost of a smile playing on his lips, "Well Y/N, Welcome to the House of Desire."