[23]

DAYS REMAINING: 17

DAYS REMAINING: 17

THIS WAS IT. OPENING NIGHT. The cast and crew were in a frenzy, stomachs filled with butterflies, slightly nauseous from their nerves. They still had hours until it was time to start the show, but they all couldn't wait. They had been working so hard for this day. It was hard to believe it was finally here.

Ricky had spent most of his morning at Big Red's trying to calm his nerves, but also getting his best friend's opinion on the gifts he got for his girlfriend, but also for Nini. A custom guitar pick for the leading lady, and a necklace with his initial on it for Luna.

Ricky was extremely nervous. He couldn't stand another minute being trapped inside his house, just sitting in anticipation for tonight. This was his first time doing anything like this, in front of a bunch of people— his family and friends included. So he did the only thing he could think of. He showed up at East High way early to begin to prepare.

Apparently he wasn't the only one with opening night jitters. Nini waltzed into East High's gym with the same grim look that Ricky had sported previously. Miss Jenn prompted them to relax and take in the solitude of the moment before it would all begin. She had absolute faith in her two leads, knowing that they would be incredible tonight even though they had lacked the previous experience of being leads before, on purpose.

After Miss Jenn left the gym, leaving her two leads to soak in the moment, they were scared by a random drop of a sand bag from the ceiling of their makeshift stage.

"Sorry!" A voice called out, sounding much like Big Red.

Another girl's voice sounded out through the gym, "Actually, I think that was me!"

Ricky chuckled to himself, turning in the direction of the voices. "Okay, how many people are in here?"

A head popped out from behind the curtain. It was his girlfriend. Luna smiled shyly at him, "Quite a few of us. Just preparing things back here for the show with Big Red. He asked for my help since I was interim stage manager during tech week," she added proudly.

He nodded, smiling back at her. "Probably should go back to helping him. He still doesn't know what he is doing," Ricky laughed, Nini joining in with him.

Luna smiled at them warily, taking in the presence of them together. She wasn't too mad that Nini made a move on her boyfriend at tech rehearsal. Ricky had made it abundantly clear he no longer had any feelings for his ex-girlfriend. He wasn't even the one to initiate the action. She also knew that Nini was genuinely a kind person, and she wouldn't try anything again. Emotions were running high that day, and things were pretty weird for everyone.

"You're right," Luna agreed. She took a quick glance behind her where Big Red stood, making sure he wasn't touching any buttons before scurrying to her boyfriend real quick. She enveloped him in a quick, warm hug, which was received nicely as he felt the hug was just what he needed right now. Ricky instantly relaxed into her embrace. "Good luck tonight, babe. You're gonna do awesome, I know it." Luna pulled away to see her boyfriend grinning.