Prolouge

Rain stepped out into the small clearing. She let out a grunt as leaves jabbed her in the side.
It's like they know I'm not supposed to be out here! Oh...Maybe I should head back...No! I promised myself I would see a FlickerWing!
It took her a moment to realize she was making faces to go along with the conversation in her head.
She shook her head to clear her mind. It's fine. I'll be back before Sister can know I'm gone...Or Mother, or Father. But want if Reef tries to come over! That Kelp-Face better stay out of my room! Whoa, Rain, focus! I'm just here to see a FlickerWing. They will be so cool! Surely the scrolls aren't true! They can't always be hostile or angry. Since, their dragons just like us, but yet so different. I wonder.....Oh! Mother told me not to think about them! I'm supposed to be focusing on school....Wait...What was my homework assignment again? Did I leave it at school?! ROAR!
Rain grabbed a branch that was blocking her way. "Okay, okay, focus! If I remember the map correctly, I should be reaching the border soon".
She took a step back into the undergrowth as she heard a large crash from up above. What was that?! A FlickerWing? So cool...but what will they do if they find me? Ugh, remember your battle lessons! Or I can just lay down and look helpless....That sounds better then fighting honestly.
There was another crash. "RAIN!" A big voice bellowed.
Father! What is he doing here?! Did he follow me?! Did Sister tell on me....Or Reef? And why is he making this much noise close to the border-
"There you are" A voice behind her growled.
She spun around, her tail sending several leaves flying. "Uh, H-hi! D-dad!".
He put on his disappointed face. "What are you doing so close to the border?! There is a war going on, if your found they will kill you!".
Rain winced. "I..Uh..I-I'm not...Its a- a school project!".
He glared down at her. "So their sending 4-year-olds to spy on our deadly enemies now? Interesting".
Rain looked down. "No, Uh...I wanted to see them....A FlickerWing".
Her father shook his head, his eyes softening. "Rain.....".
She turned her head away. "I know, I know! It's  stupid and I should be focusing on school and Reef and anything else!".
He just shook his head. "We will discuss this later. Let's go home". Slowly, he put his wing over her.
She nodded slowly as he turned her towards the direction of their territory.
She snuck one last glance of the forest on the other side of the border. One day, she thought, One day I'll be back.