Chapter Three - Rain

Rain sat quietly as she heard her Father yell from across the house. "What are you thinking?! She can't just drop out just because you want her to!".
She heard Reef's too. "I'm doing her a favor! She doesn't need to be smart if she's going to be my wife! She just has to sit there and-".
"YOU WILL NOT SAY THAT ABOUT MY DAUGHTER!".
Silence.
"I have to go".
"Reef......".
"I. Have. To. Go".
"No, I need to talk to you-".
"I'm leaving! I'll come back to see Rain tomorrow. And think about the school thing!".
She heard his talonsteps go across the room and open the door. "Goodbye Rain!".
"B-bye!"She yelled back.
The door slammed.
Her Father sighed.
More silence.
Ray appeared in the doorway. "What was that about?".
Rain sighed. "Reef wants me to drop out of school so I have time for him and....dragonets".
She widened her eyes. "D-dragonets?".
Rain shook her head. "Not now. I'm only six....". I wish that was true...
She looked down.
Ray put her wing on her shoulder. "I'm really sorry, Rain. You shouldn't be going through this....I-".
"No"Rain said. "You already suggested this once.  You are not taking my place!".
She looked down. "But you can't marry Reef! You know how he is! He wants you to drop out of school and-".
Their Father stuck his head in the doorway. "Ray, can you leave for a second? I need to talk to Rain".
Ray nodded. "Yes Father...". She stepped off into the hallway.
Her Father frowned. "So, you heard me and Reef earlier....He wants you to drop out of school to have more time with him. What...I'm sorry, Rain. But I'm agreeing with him....".
Rain widened her eyes. "Dad....? W-why?".
Her Dad hung his head. "Rain! I said I'm sorry...but you know how Reef's family is! Their pretty much kill us if we don't agree with them! And, who knows.....Reef  promised a good life for you....and your dragonets".
Rain coiled her tail around her, brushed her stomach. "Why is that what everyone cares about?!".
"Rain, you know why...Your Mother had...strange powers. We're hoping that when your dragonets are born, it'll get passed down. That's our only hope to survive this war....".
Rain sighed. "Right, for our tribe....All for our tribe".
Her Father reached out to grab her front talon but stopped and turned away. "I'm glad you understand....". He paused in the doorway. "You've really grown up, Rain. I'm proud of you".
Rain raised her head to watch him go. I only grew up because I was forced too...