Chapter Nine - Rain

Rain let out a sigh of relief as her house came into view. She had spent all day walking around town with Reef. He went on babbling about how dangerous FlickerWings were and how they were risking everything by keeping one in their town.
Finally, when Night fell, he had walked her home. Beside her, he tensed up. "Are you sure your okay? You want to go home?".
She nodded. "I haven't been feeling good all day. I'm sure I'll be fine once I get some sleep".
"But won't you be alone?".
"Ray will be there, I'm sure, and Father will get home soon".
He shrugged. "Why not come to my place? I needed to talk to you about moving in with me soon-".
Rain stopped. "Wait, what? Moving in with you?!".
Reef stopped a step ahead of her. "Well, yes. If we're getting married-"
"Whoa, whoa! This is too fast! I'm barely seven, I can't get married or have dragonets or-".
Reef turned to her . "I never said anything about dragonets.....".
Rain blinked. "Oh, Uh....But the point is...I can't marry you, Reef, especially after what you did to me...".
Reef looked down. "Well, I'm sorry, but this is not your choice. This was decided before you were even hatched". He took Rain's talons in his. "You know your Mother had strange powers. Our dragonets could have it! It could help us win this war!".
Rain flinched. "But I don't want to be responsible for creating something that just kills everything....". It's too late to say that...
Reef's face suddenly twisted into anger. "Your impossible, Rain! This is for our tribe! No one cares what you or I think!
"Well.... what do you think?".
He turned away. "Rain, I...Uh, I have to go. If you need anything you know where to find me". He took off down the street.
Rain gasped as another slash of pain flashed through her stomach. Ow, ow! Why does it hurt so much? Did I do something wrong?
She wrapped her tail around herself. Oh please, little dragon, hatch healthy...
"Rain?".
Rain spun around to see Ray. Wave was standing besides her, gazing at her curiously. Ray muttered something to him and he nodded and walked away.
"What are you doing here alone?".
Rain shrugged. "Uh, Reef just dropped me off".
She nodded. "Let's go inside". She led Rain into the house.
As soon as they got inside, Ray turned to her and sighed. "I need to talk to you".
Oh no! Does she know?! How could-
"Uh, Rain? You look like just saw a FlickerWing attacking someone!".
Rain forced herself to stop shaking. "No, no, I'm fine! What do you need to need to talk about? Quick question, does it have to do with me?".
Ray shook her head. "Uh, no it doesn't, but never mind. I think you need some sleep....".
Ray rested her tail on Rain's side. "It will all be okay, Rain, I promise".
T-that sounds like she knows....But she would tell me if she did! And if she doesn't, I can't tell her, it will hurt her...
Rain stepped away. "Um, thanks..? I'm going to go to bed...".
Ray gave her a small smile. "Of course. Go rest up and I'll, Uh, see you in the morning".
Rain bowed her head and slipped into her room. She shut the door and sat down on her sleeping ledge.
What am I going to do?! Ray might know, Reef has no clue! What about Father? Father probably wouldn't care. He's been distant since Mom disappeared.....What would Mom think?
She never really like Reef but never objected to his parents suggestions. For sure she would still let me go to school.
She would help me with this...But she's not here. She's not coming back...
Rain looked out the moonlit room around her.
Mom, if you can hear me....please keep me safe..