Chapter Twelve - Storm

Storm let himself drift on the wind that went by. Ember was bothering Dusk with questions beside him. "How often do you patrol? How nice are your dorms, better then at the school?".

Dusk sighed. "We patrol daily, pretty much the whole day. We have posts and lookouts and all that, we also have a weapons chamber because, duh. We share a dorm with another soldier, usually of the same gender. When we are partnered, we go to slightly nicer housing units on the other side of our territory for a few months, til the egg hatches. The male then has the choice to return to battle or stay and help raise the dragonet". He grunted. "That's it".

Ember frowned slightly. "What if we don't want to be partnered?".

"It's not your choice really....You don't get a complex relationship, you just have a dragonet". He turned his head away. "You just have to remember it's for the tribe. We need more dragonets and soldiers if we are going to win".

Strike stiffened. "We are going to win! CoastWings are WEAK, we can slain them in no time".

Ember looked at her brother. "Then why have we had a century's long war? If they were so weak, we would have made them go extinct a long time".

"Wait, you want to make them go extinct?! I thought, we would just....".

The soldier looked down. "It's the only way. What else would we do, force them of Phoenix? ".

Strike nodded. "You sound going for their dragonets and eggs, stamp out the bloodlines".

Ember frowned yet again. "That's sounds brutal, Strike".

He gave his sister a hard look. "We have to be brutal, Ember. If we don't start breaking down the CoastWings population, they could end us".

She bit her lip. "But your going to kill innocent dragons! Some are just dragonets, who can't even fight, let alone have killed anyone in the war!".

"This is how it is! Those dragonets are taught to hate us and will grow up to be just like their parents!".

Dusk nodded. "The older one is right. We may be the same species, be we can't deny our differences...That's why we're fighting this war".

Storm touched his wing with Ember's. "But wanting peace is good, it's our only chance for the future".

"There is no future with peace! It's either we win our we get wiped out, that's how ya and even the CoastWings see it" Strike spat.

Ember looked at Storm pleadingly. Storm narrowed his eyes. "Cut it out, Strike. Me and Ember don't like how your acting...We're sorry you couldn't take your assessment but, geez".

Strike rolled his eyes but said nothing and drifted on ahead. Storm looked back at Ember and brushed his wing with hers. They both hated when Strike was angry.