Chapter Six - Rain

Warning: This Chapter Contains Content That May Be Sensitive To Some Readers

The sunlight poured through the window as Rain blinked away sleep.
Great, another day......Reef is visiting again later today....Even better
She groaned and slipped of her sleeping ledge.
She heard her Father's voice coming from the kitchen. "Are you up Rain?!".
She peered out of her bedroom. "Yes, why?....Is Reef here?".
Father cleared his throat. "No. He won't be coming til this afternoon".
"Oh, thank goodness!". She stepped out into the hallway.
Ray was sitting at their Father's desk, writing furiously.
"Gosh Ray" Father said, stepping up beside her. "What are you doing?".
She picked up the letter. "Writing to-".
Father snatched the letter out of her talons, realizing who it was addressed too. "Ray! You know your not supposed to write angry letters to this family".
Ray narrowed her eyes. "Well, I think the way he was taking to Rain the other day was-".
Father shook his head. "You know better, Ray. This has been planned since the second Rain hatched". He took the letter and crumpled it in his talons.
Ray hung her head and looked at Rain. "I tried...".
"What were you going to do?".
Ray bit her lip. "I just wanted Reef's family to know it's not okay to treat you like they have been....".
Rain blinked. "And you requested to take my place again, didn't you....?".
"Rain.....".
"I told you! I was hatched for this, this is all fine! It's for our tribe!" Rain said.
Ray looked down again. "Whatever. Let's get you to school-".
Rain sat down. "I actually don't have school anymore".
Ray flashed her a forced smile. "Oh, yes, lucky you. I have to go, Wave will be waiting. Bye Father!". She turned away and looked over her shoulder. "Oh and, bye Rain".
Their Father grunted and left the room.
"Bye....." Rain whispered.
Ray slipped out the door.
Okay....What now? Maybe I should study....No, Reef would have a fit. What would Reef want me to do? Ugh, I hate this! I just want to have a normal life....Not to be pestered by a kelp-face all day......And to think about what my life will be like in a few months with....them...
Whoa, Rain! Calm down!
But, seriously....When am I going to tell Reef about-
The front door burst open and standing there, of course, was Reef. He stepped right as if he lived there.
"Oh, Rain! There you are! Ha, how convenient! It's good for you to not be hiding away in your room, anyways". He grinned and twinned his tail with hers.
She took a small step back and looked down. "I don't hide out.....".
Reef blinked at her. "Hmm, have you had breakfast yet?".
"No, I was going to-".
Reef nudged her closer to him."Ah, that's fine! You don't always have to have breakfast".
Rain nodded slowly. "Yeah, um, what are we doing today?".
Reef smiled."Oh, I thought we go into town. After that, I know the perfect place for some...privacy".
Rain winced. She could remember the last time he had said something like that...

Flashback
"Where are we going?" Rain had asked. It had been a chilly night....Back when she still thought Reef was the best thing to ever happen to her.
He smiled down at her. "You'll see! It's a surprise".
"Oh, I love surprises! Your the best, Reef!".
Something odd had flashed through his eyes. "Yeah.....I think..Never mind".
Rain looked around. "Aren't we getting close to the border?".
"Hm, yes. We're stop here".
She blinked at him. "We're in the middle of a dark forest? Uh...".
"Yes...I just thought we could come here to talk. Now that your getting older...Uh, we could get to know each other better". He grinned.
"Uh, sure! But...in the middle of the forest? Can we go back and talk?".
He tilted his head, frowning. "Why would you want to go back?".
She shivered a bit. "I'm just a bit cold...".
She took a step and pressed up against her. "I'll keep you warm".
The warmth made her feel more comfortable, but there was a tight feeling in her chest.
She shuffled her front talons. "What now?".
He narrowed his eyes. "Well, want to ask questions about each other? Or....?".
Rain looked up. "Or what?".
A glint passed through his eyes. "I need to talk to you about something".
"Okay...Go on".
He sat up and wrapped his tail around her, pulling around her. "You know why we're paired together right?".
She looked down. "Yes....because of my Mom".
Reef smiled. "Right. We're hoping to pass the power down and it'll help us win the war....and to do that...we have to have dragonets".
A cold feeling of realization fell over Rain. "Oh, yeah. But when we're older...Right?".
She could feel Reef edging closer to her. She took a step back. "Reef, what are you doing?".
He smiled. "It's alright, Rain".
"Wha-".
She could now feel his breath on her neck. "Ssh. It'll all be alright".

A/N:

.........

Well, that was a dark topic to write about....

Welp, that's it!

-Quietrxin