Life Without You

Traveling by car was one of Kaownah's favorite things to do. So when his parents told him that they were going to Rayong to visit their relatives, he exclaimed in too much excitement. But he didn't have any idea how a simple trip would turn out to be something different and it all started when they witnessed an explosion on the way to Rayong.

His family departed later than they expected because his father was held at his own office to finish some papers before having a vacation for a week. For Kaownah, it was a peaceful ride going to the province not until an explosion caught their attention.

"Oh my god! What was that?" Kaownah's mother asked in panic.

Kaownah's father stopped the car at the side of the road after they got a little closer to the area where an explosion was seen. "Let's take a look." He got out of the car to check what was the thing that exploded.

"I'll go with dad, mom."

"What? No! Just stay here."

But Kaownah didn't listen to his mom. "It's okay mom, it's safe." He pulled the car handle and got out. He followed his dad, who was standing at the edge of the cliff. "What was it, dad?"

Looking down on a thing that was on fire. He could tell that a car fell off of the cliff and exploded. "Oh no, it's a car."

"A car fell off?!"

"Honey? What is it?" His wife shouted from the car.

"A car fell off the cliff!"

"How about the people riding on that car? Let's call a police."

Kaownah's parents were having a conversation about what happened. As they were having a talk, Kaownah wondered around the place taking a few steps while his eyes never leaving the car that was on fire.

After taking a few steps, he suddenly kicked on something. Something that was a little hard, but not as hard as a rock. Out of his curiosity, he looked down to know what was it. It was getting dark and the place was full of trees and a few lampposts, so he needed to look closely and when he did, he saw a figure of a man lying on the road.

"DAD!!!" Kaownah started screaming at the top of his lungs after seeing a man lying in front of him. "DAD! There's a man! There's a man!"

Because of Kaownah's nonstop screaming, his parents rushed to where he was and there, they saw a man lying on his stomach. His mother was shocked to see a man lying on the road, she placed her hands on her son's shoulder as she held on to him.

Kaownah's father crouched down to check the man. He carefully turned the man to lie down on his back, and he could see scratches and cuts on his face and body. Now, he needed to check if the man was still alive or not. He tried to see if the man was unconscious by gently shaking and tapping his shoulder. When he didn't receive any response, he glanced to his family while plastering a look on his face that was asking for help.

"Try to check if he's breathing. Try to listen to it." His wife suggested and he did what she had said.

He leaned closer to the man's face and placed his ear over the man's mouth and nose. His eyes widened when he felt the man's irregular breathing rushing on his ear and cheeks. "He's alive! Kaownah, help me. Let's take him to the nearest hospital."

They didn't waste much time and instead of calling an ambulance, they gently carried him and brought him to the car, taking him to the hospital, hoping that they could save the man's life.