15. Sweet-talk & Lies

Mom stares at me from the other side of the table, unconvinced

Mom stares at me from the other side of the table, unconvinced. Her hair is up, effortless in its precision and her makeup, non existent.

"I'm not sure about this, Helena."

"Mom, please! We'll set off at six AM and be back in time for dinner. Promise."

Still, her stance remains unmoved.

"Think of it as a reward for me getting into Penn."

She laughs. "I'd much rather celebrate by taking you out for dinner. Not by letting you and Elliot drive ten hours to Ohio and back in one day."

"It's for the investigation," I argue, hoping that'll sway her.

She sits back in the chair and chews her lip, contemplating.

"I don't see why you can't just call Lucy up? Is this conversation really worth having if you have to drive ten plus hours to have it?"

"Yes. She's invited us over to talk in person." LIE! "So, it must be important. And besides, that's not the only reason I want to go."

I fidget with my fingers, suddenly fighting off my body's need to blush.

"What's the other reason?"

"Elliot," I admit. "He's never left Oak Valley. And he probably won't for at least another four years."

"So?"

"So, I want him to have this. It'll be like a vacation for him."

She relents. "Fine."

Oh my God!

"But you text me with hourly updates."

"Consider it done," I reply.

"And I want to speak to Lucy's mother beforehand."

Fuck!

"I'll get her to call you," I offer, unsure as to how I'll manage that.

Neither Lucy, nor her mother can know about our planned visit. If she blocked me on Instagram, she's hardly going to invite me into her home willingly.

"I'm trusting you to be responsible," she says, voice stern. "You split the drive with Elliot and take a break every two hours."

"I promise."

I instantly text Elliot the good news.

Helena:
Mom said yes!
We're going to
Ohio, baby!

Elliot:
Amazing! I also
got permission from
Aunt Sarah.

Helena:
Really?