26. Heartbreak Kisses

With my playlist on full blast, I shut out my surroundings

With my playlist on full blast, I shut out my surroundings. My reality. Homework is a welcoming distraction from the constant pressure. The need to catch whoever is responsible.

Chloe and Brooke privately took their allegations to the police after informing family members. Thankfully, the case is being handled with care and police are treating it as a motive for Chad's death. Someone—whoever the killer is—murdered Chad as a form of punishment. Sienna and Principle Wilson too. The question is, why?

Ping!

A text comes through from Elliot, gaining my attention

Elliot:
Are you busy?
I need your help!!!

Helena:
Nope, not busy.
What's up?

Elliot:
Can you come over?

Helena:
Be there in 5.

I silence my music and fly downstairs, finding Mom in the kitchen. She's on the phone and doesn't notice my arrival.

"You can't keep doing this, Dan."

Dad must need more money.

"Just because I'm good for it doesn't mean I should willingly give it up." She sighs. "We're not together anymore."

I walk through the door, deliberately making a noise as to alert her of my presence.

"Helena's here. D'ya wanna chat?"

I widen my eyes and gesture for her to keep the phone. "I'm going to Elliot's."

Mom puts Dad on speaker.

"Who's Elliot?" he asks. "Boyfriend?"

"No."

He laughs, not buying it. "Mom told me about Penn. That's fantastic! Would've been nice to hear it from you, pumpkin."

"Sorry. I've been preoccupied lately."

"With Elliot?" he teases.

I choose not to reply.

"I'll be a few hours," I inform, gesturing for the car keys.

Mom tosses them from across the table. "Text me when you get there, please."

I nod. "Bye, Dad,"

"Love you."

"Uh-huh."

I practically run to the car and head to Elliot's, happy for the change of scenery. It takes no more than five minutes and upon arriving, I text Mom.

Helena:
Here now.
Still alive.

Momma:
Damn.
Maybe next time? ;)
LY xo