34. Sleepless Nights

With what seems to be the entire police force stationed outside our house, Elliot and Celia remain huddled up on our sofa, safe

With what seems to be the entire police force stationed outside our house, Elliot and Celia remain huddled up on our sofa, safe. We've worked non-stop for hours, only stopping for the odd refreshment Mom offers.

"Thanks," says Celia, accepting a hot chocolate from her.

Mom sits beside her and caresses her hair, channelling her fear into something physical. Something useful.

Chloe yawns, rubbing at her eyes. "What time is it?"

"Three AM," replies Jasmine, checking her watch.

Phil snoozes next to her on the armchair.

"We should sleep," suggests Shaun, scanning the papers in front of him.

He's just as desperate as me and for that, I'm extremely grateful. Things may have been awkward between us these past few days but all is now forgotten. And that's the important thing. The fact that he came through when I most needed him.

"I'll show Elliot and Celia the guest bedroom," I say, gesturing for them to follow me.

Upstairs, I offer them extra blankets and check that the windows are locked shut. "You'll be safe here."

"Thanks," replies Elliot, smiling.

Celia says nothing and urgently closes the door, serious face on. "Text them."

Elliot stares, unblinkingly.

"Excuse me?"

"Ask for truth."

"Not happening," he states, sternly.

"Elliot, if you die..."

"I'm not going to die," he ensures, looking to me for help. "Tell her."

"I won't let that happen," I promise. "We're going to catch whoever is doing this and stop them once and for all."

My words fail to initiate comfort and before I know it, Celia is sobbing. She's terrified and I respect that. Hell, I am too. Elliot's life it at stake here and if that doesn't warrant worry, I don't know what will.

"I'll leave you guys to it," I soothe, figuring this is between them. Not me.

On the landing, I catch Shaun and Jasmine heading towards his bedroom with Mom offering Jason and Chloe hers.

"Where will you sleep?" I ask, helping her with the few dishes we've accumulated.

"I'm not," she replies, resting a glass on the draining board. "I'm too worried to sleep."

"Want some company?" I ask, pulling out a chair.

She smiles and sits down, the pair of us working through some notes.

"He'll be okay."

I nod, not entirely convinced. "I'd do anything for him, Mom."

"I know." She smiles, resting her hand on mine. "What you and Elliot have...it's what I had with Jason."