17. Lucy Loose Lips

"We've got this, Helena," encourages Elliot, grabbing my hand as we walk up Lucy's garden path

Pebbles crunch beneath our feet, prompting a dog from next door to begin barking. It gets louder the closer we get and before we've even reached the door, a figure emerges.

Lucy.

"Hi." Shit! "Can we talk?"

She glances to Elliot and nods, the true optimum of a nervous wreck. Chewed lips. Shaking hands. Eyes unrested.

"My mom is upstairs," she informs, gesturing for us to come inside. "All I have to do is yell and she'll be down here."

"We're not going to hurt you," I ensure, a little stunned by her reaction.

"D'ya think I'd let you into my home if I thought you were capable of hurting me?" she snarls. "I'm merely warning you."

I nod, keeping my mouth shut.

"We're here to help," interrupts Elliot, awkward smile intact. "We know you sent those text messages."

Her stance instantly stiffens.

"We also know that you're being threatened to do so," he continues. "Why?"

"You know why," she whispers.

"We'd rather hear it from you," I appease, following her into the kitchen.

She gestures towards two stools at the far end of the breakfast bar and takes it upon herself to make tea. Elliot and I wait for her to finish, itching to get things going but withholding for the sake of her sanity.

"Two summers ago, someone filmed me having sex and posted it online without my knowledge."

We remain silent, allowing her the chance to continue.

"The police removed it because I was a minor at the time but the damage was already done. I went through weeks of intense therapy and in the end, Mom and Dad decided to move. Tea?"

"Yes, please," says Elliot.

I refrain, already desperate for the toilet.

"Anyway," she continues. "About a month ago, I get this message on Instagram asking me to send some truth or death text messages. At first, I ignored it but they started threatening me. I had no choice."

Elliot nods, sipping his tea in sympathy.

"A few weeks later, I get sent this burner phone by mail. I figured the whole game was just a prank, so I went along with it. I only found out about Sienna's murder the other day when Mom told me." She looks up, hands shaking. "I swear I had no idea."